Can anyone explain why there is a force constraint in the z direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the force constraint in the z direction and its presence in the given diagram. The question is under-specified and requires interpretation, leading to the conclusion that there can be no net force or moment in the z direction based on the slope of the block. The discussion also highlights the role of experience in understanding such problems and thanks the expert for their help.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

5l9Nk.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone explain why there is a force constraint in the z direction. The pin force only affects the x and y...

Also shouldn't there be a moment in the z since the pin prevents the block from rotating cw and ccw in the xy plane?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can anyone explain why there is a force constraint in the z direction. The pin force only affects the x and y...
Can the force P have a component in the z direction?

Also shouldn't there be a moment in the z since the pin prevents the block from rotating cw and ccw in the xy plane?
Hmmm ... they are kinda implying that P does not turn the block aren't they... and it is drawn off-axis.

I'd ask about it - possibly you were supposed to figure either that p acts through the center of mass via the pin perhaps but still.

Simon Bridge said:
Can the force P have a component in the z direction?

I don't see why not... The pin only prevents movement in the x and y. Since we are just looking at the pin with force P and the block I can see myself pushing the block in and out of the page.

You don't think it is implicit in the diagram?

Simon Bridge said:
You don't think it is implicit in the diagram?

Unfortunately I am not sure how to see it in the diagram :S

The problem seems to be under-specified as it is written. I think your were expected to "get it" from the context. That happens a lot. You learn to use your judgement.

Simon Bridge said:
The problem seems to be under-specified as it is written. I think your were expected to "get it" from the context. That happens a lot. You learn to use your judgement.

Could you please explain how you interpreted it? What is the reasoning behind the constraint in the z direction.

I don't think I did it by analysis ... but from the experience of having seen many such problems before.

The way to think about it is to reconstruct the question as an answer for each of the possible constraints. eg. for A.

A force in x is present between the block and the rod with the force P.

Now consider if that is true or false ...
The trouble is that I'd have got it right before you started asking questons, which suggests that I'm doing it from experience rather than evidence.

The answers seem to be saying that there is no constraining force in z, and no constraining moment in z. Which is OK for the force but clearly silly for the moment since the block cannot rotate about the z axis (there's a ramp in the way.)

That would be your objection right?

OTOH: what the diagram says to me is that there can be no net force in the z direction and no net moment about z. There can be net force/moments for the other two axis because of the slope... for instance, if the block can, in principle, rotate about the normal (to the slope) axis ... this would give it moments about x and z, but not z.

A "constraint" in this question does not stop motion, just limits it.

So, if I have this right, the question asked is pretty much the opposite of what you thought it meant.

BTW: thanks for forcing me to think about this.

Simon Bridge said:
I don't think I did it by analysis ... but from the experience of having seen many such problems before.

The way to think about it is to reconstruct the question as an answer for each of the possible constraints. eg. for A.

A force in x is present between the block and the rod with the force P.

Now consider if that is true or false ...
The trouble is that I'd have got it right before you started asking questons, which suggests that I'm doing it from experience rather than evidence.

The answers seem to be saying that there is no constraining force in z, and no constraining moment in z. Which is OK for the force but clearly silly for the moment since the block cannot rotate about the z axis (there's a ramp in the way.)

That would be your objection right?

OTOH: what the diagram says to me is that there can be no net force in the z direction and no net moment about z. There can be net force/moments for the other two axis because of the slope... for instance, if the block can, in principle, rotate about the normal (to the slope) axis ... this would give it moments about x and z, but not z.

A "constraint" in this question does not stop motion, just limits it.

So, if I have this right, the question asked is pretty much the opposite of what you thought it meant.

BTW: thanks for forcing me to think about this.

xD thanks for your help, I understand it a lot better now!

I should have mentioned - the way it is drawn, it is implicit that P has no z component - so net translational force is zero.

Cheers.

1. What is a force constraint in the z direction?

A force constraint in the z direction refers to a limitation or restriction on the movement or action of an object in the z-axis (vertical direction) due to the presence of a force acting on it.

2. Why does a force constraint exist in the z direction?

A force constraint in the z direction exists because of the fundamental laws of physics, specifically Newton's third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied in the z direction, there will be a corresponding force acting in the opposite direction, resulting in a constraint.

3. How does a force constraint in the z direction affect an object?

A force constraint in the z direction can affect an object in various ways depending on the magnitude and direction of the force. It can cause the object to move in the opposite direction, remain stationary, or experience a change in shape or deformation.

4. Can the force constraint in the z direction be overcome?

In most cases, the force constraint in the z direction cannot be completely overcome as it is a result of the laws of physics. However, it can be minimized or counteracted by applying an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction.

5. How is a force constraint in the z direction calculated?

A force constraint in the z direction can be calculated using the principles of force and motion, specifically by considering the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the object, as well as the mass and acceleration of the object.