Complicated pulley system on an incline?

In summary: So we define the subsystem as the combination of the straight section of cord above the pulley and the straight section below the pulley back to C, and take the derivative to get T.Va.
Hema

Homework Statement

Under the action of force P the constant acceleration of B is 6 m/s^2 up the incline as in figure. For the instant when B's velocity is 3 m/s up incline, what is the velocity of point C? How do I solve this using constraints?
[/B]

main-qimg-bf19b9199b57c57872b9335230ab7d65.jpg

Homework Equations

For a pulley system ΣT.v = 0 since internal work done adds up to zero
T*2-2T*3+TVc = 0 (given in my book) which gives Vc = 4 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

It had been previously proven that Va = 2 m/s at the instant mentioned. I decided that the equation T*2-2T*3+TVc = 0 was for the points A, C and D. Was I right? Am I allowed to take points C and D for the equation? If I am, why is it so? If the equation is not for A, C and D then for which points is it? The solution had previously used A and B for the constraint equation to find A's velocity, using the equation -2T*3 + 3TVa = 0.

Attachments

• main-qimg-bf19b9199b57c57872b9335230ab7d65.jpg
    main-qimg-bf19b9199b57c57872b9335230ab7d65.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
I see a simple way of doing this last part to check your answer. Look a the top section of rope. It needs to lengthen according to ## v_B-v_A ##. Point C will move forward at this same speed relative to B, and B is moving. This is at least one way to get the answer. ( Once you have the result that ## v_A=2 \, m/sec ##, the part to find the speed of the point C on the rope is fairly simple). ## \\ ## Edit: It can be helpful in problems like this to consider the rope as a fixed length ## L ## and constraint equations can then be written by describing the rope as ## L=L_1+L_2+L_3 ##, and then derivatives can be taken. e.g. ## L_1=x_B-x_A ##, so that ## \frac{dL_1}{dt}=v_B-v_A ##. Also ## \frac{dL}{dt}=0 ##.

Last edited:
Hema said:
T*2-2T*3+TVc = 0
I decode that as T.Va-2T.Vb+T.Vc. That appears to come from considering the section of cord from A (upper), passing over and including the pulley at B, and back to C.

Note that this way of looking at it requires figuring out that the tension in the cord tying the upper pulley to B is 2T. Alternatively, don't include that pulley in the subsystem, and define the subsystem as the combination of the straight section of cord above the pulley and the straight section below the pulley back to C.

As with any mechanics problem, you can specify whatever subsystem you like and consider the external forces on it.

Another option is to choose the cord from C down and around the lower pulley to D. This gives T.Vc=2T.Va.

Likes Hema
haruspex said:
I decode that as T.Va-2T.Vb+T.Vc. That appears to come from considering the section of cord from A (upper), passing over and including the pulley at B, and back to C.

Note that this way of looking at it requires figuring out that the tension in the cord tying the upper pulley to B is 2T. Alternatively, don't include that pulley in the subsystem, and define the subsystem as the combination of the straight section of cord above the pulley and the straight section below the pulley back to C.

As with any mechanics problem, you can specify whatever subsystem you like and consider the external forces on it.

Another option is to choose the cord from C down and around the lower pulley to D. This gives T.Vc=2T.Va.
Thanks! Would you please explain to me how we can define the subsystem without the pulley and only the straight sections of cord above and below? Won't that just give the equation T.Va + T.Vc = 0?

Hema said:
Thanks! Would you please explain to me how we can define the subsystem without the pulley and only the straight sections of cord above and below? Won't that just give the equation T.Va + T.Vc = 0?
No, the tension acts in the same direction on that subsystem at A and C. We need to oppose those with the tensions exerted by the pulley at B. The trick is that the sum of the two velocities there is 2Vb.

Likes Hema

1. How does a complicated pulley system on an incline work?

A complicated pulley system on an incline uses multiple pulleys and an inclined plane to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. The pulleys are arranged in a way that distributes the weight of the object across multiple ropes, making it easier to lift.

2. What are the advantages of using a complicated pulley system on an incline?

The main advantage of using a complicated pulley system on an incline is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. This can be especially useful when dealing with heavy objects, as it allows for easier and more efficient lifting.

3. How does the incline affect the force needed to lift an object in a complicated pulley system?

The incline of the pulley system affects the force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance the object must travel. This means that the force needed to lift the object is reduced, as the incline acts as a ramp, distributing the weight of the object over a longer distance.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a complicated pulley system on an incline?

The mechanical advantage of a complicated pulley system on an incline can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object by the force needed to lift it. This will give you the ratio of the output force to the input force, which is the mechanical advantage of the system.

5. What are some common uses for a complicated pulley system on an incline?

A complicated pulley system on an incline has many practical uses, including in construction, transportation, and manufacturing industries. It can also be used in everyday tasks, such as lifting heavy objects or lowering items from a higher location.