Voltage Suppression from 35V - 20V

• Thread starter Daniel Floyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, Daniel Floyd's circuit is generating a voltage spike of 38V which he needs to minimize to 20V in order to protect his external circuitry. He has heard that there are protective resistors and zenner diode circuits that can help him do this. He will begin his search for a TVS from Mouser and post his findings.
Daniel Floyd
Ok i am a hobbyist and i currently building a circuit in which when i place this on an oscilloscope i am gaining a voltage spike of 38V i need to minimise this spike down to a maximum of 20V in order to protect my external circuitry. When my circuit is working under 20V i need this protective device to have no action thus the circuit as it would. The current in this circuit is a big problem so using resistors in series resulting in less current is not an option.

I have heard that there are protective resistors that can be used or zenner diode circuits. can anybody help me with this?

Regards Daniel Floyd.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Daniel Floyd said:
Ok i am a hobbyist and i currently building a circuit in which when i place this on an oscilloscope i am gaining a voltage spike of 38V i need to minimise this spike down to a maximum of 20V in order to protect my external circuitry. When my circuit is working under 20V i need this protective device to have no action thus the circuit as it would. The current in this circuit is a big problem so using resistors in series resulting in less current is not an option.

I have heard that there are protective resistors that can be used or zenner diode circuits. can anybody help me with this?

Regards Daniel Floyd.

Can you post a schematic of your circuit?

What is the source of your voltage spike?

Could you use a 20v voltage regulator?

What you probably need is a TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor).
One way to get a data sheet on a TVS is to go to either Mouser or Digi-Key and search for TVS. When you are shown data for TVS, select a like one and then ask for a data sheet.
It may take some searching, but you should be able to locate a TVS that will keep the transient voltage below 20 volt.

Good Luck
Carl

Look up P6KE24V. It is a zener type device that can REALLY take a beating. Of course it is available in other voltages, the number I gave is a 24 volt device.

Thank you i will begin my search around a TVS from Mouser I will then post my findings.

1. What is voltage suppression?

Voltage suppression is the process of reducing or limiting the voltage level in a circuit or system. It is typically used to protect electronic components from damage caused by high voltage spikes or surges.

2. What is the difference between 35V and 20V?

35V and 20V refer to the voltage levels in a circuit. 35V is a higher voltage level than 20V, meaning that it has more energy and power. In voltage suppression, the goal is to reduce the voltage level from 35V to 20V to prevent damage to components.

3. How is voltage suppression achieved?

Voltage suppression can be achieved through the use of components such as voltage suppressor diodes or transient voltage suppressors, which are designed to limit the voltage level in a circuit. These components are typically placed in parallel with the circuit to redirect excess voltage away from sensitive components.

4. Why is voltage suppression important?

Voltage suppression is important because it helps protect electronic components from damage. High voltage spikes or surges can occur due to lightning strikes, power surges, or other electrical disturbances, and can cause significant damage to sensitive electronic equipment. Voltage suppression helps prevent this damage and ensures the proper functioning of electronic systems.

5. What are the potential risks of not using voltage suppression?

Not using voltage suppression can result in damage to electronic components, leading to malfunctions or complete failure of systems. In extreme cases, it can even cause fires or explosions. It is important to implement voltage suppression measures to ensure the safety and reliability of electronic systems.