Powering an OpAmp with Dual Batteries: Ground-Free Circuit Design

In summary, to power an OpAmp using two batteries, so there's no connection to mains ground or neutral, you would need to ground the node between the batteries.
Rudinhoob said:
I thought it's 0 it it's considered a reference node. This is how it's treated in circuit books, they show the non-inverting input for an inverting OpAmp configuration connected to a common node, using the "ground" symbol, and the same symbol used for the input voltage source's negative rail.

In your left hand circuit you connected +input to a definite point, the power supply centertap.
In your right hand one you didn't, you left it to find its own level.
Simply calling it "reference" doesn't make the rest of the circuit respect it.

In the boooks, they don't usually show the power supply. Power supply is used to define 'circuit common' , usually power supply centertap.
For opamps like LM324 which is designed to operate with single supply, they often but not always use power supply negative instead.

I strongly recommend you look into the first article in that Analog Devices link posted by dlgoff.
It was written before op-amp fundamentals became so entrenched we forgot how to teach them. Too many cooks and all that...

old jim

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rudinhoob said:
What AC are you talking about here?

Apparently my simple question could not be answered by "engineers" and when they felt incompetent they start ... adding more confusion in attempt to hide their inability to answer a simple straightforward question.

Moderators, please ban me, I'm not going to open this useless forum anymore or read any replies to me. ;)

dont give up now you're soooo close to success..

Last edited:
Rudinhoob said:
What AC are you talking about here?

Apparently my simple question could not be answered by "engineers" and when they felt incompetent they start farting crap polluting the thread and adding more confusion in attempt to hide their inability to answer a simple straightforward question.

Moderators, please ban me, I'm not going to open this useless forum anymore or read any replies to me. ;)

F.U

That's a pretty gutsy comment coming from the guy asking the questions. The AC I was talking about is the AC coming from the signal generator you have drawn in your schematic. Plain and simple fact is there is no feedback of any kind in the circuit on the right since both inverting and non-inverting inputs will see the same thing fed back from the output. Op-amp inputs are differential, so when they are treated the same as in the circuit on the right, there is essentially NO FEEDBACK

Averagesupernova said:
That's a pretty gutsy comment coming from the guy asking the questions. The AC I was talking about is the AC coming from the signal generator you have drawn in your schematic. Plain and simple fact is there is no feedback of any kind in the circuit on the right since both inverting and non-inverting inputs will see the same thing fed back from the output. Op-amp inputs are differential, so when they are treated the same as in the circuit on the right, there is essentially NO FEEDBACK

"gutsy"? More like plain rude and juvenile (teenage, no doubt). Voting with his feet is no great loss to PF, I think.

hmm There's no path for current through the two resistors, as there is in left circuit.
So the opamp can't develop a voltage across its feedback to oppose the voltage source.

Good thinking guys.

I missed that. duhhh...
This old age ain't for sissies, I tell ya.