Polar coordinates and integral

In summary, YlleHi, if you let x=r*cos(\theta) \ and \ y=r*sin(\theta) for dr dtheta, then \frac{dx}{d\theta}=-r*sin(\theta) and \frac{dy}{d\theta}=r*cos(\theta)*d\theta.
Ylle

Homework Statement

I have a problem I hope you guys can help me with.
It's quite simple I think, but there is one thing that I can't figure out.

Homework Equations

I have to use polar coordinates to evaluate this integral:
See image

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have an attempt, because I can't remember, and it doesn't say so in my book, how I turn the dx limits into polar coordinates (theta).
The dy limits are:
x = r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

, where you just insert them at the x and y. But it's the dx limits that annoy me. Do I just leave them as they are (Which sound unlogical to me), or do I change them into angles ? If yes, how ?

Hope you can help.

- Ylle

Attachments

• integral.JPG
    integral.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

If you let [tex]x=r*cos(\theta) \ and \ y=r*sin(\theta)[/tex]

then [tex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}=-r*sin(\theta) and \frac{dy}{d\theta}=r*cos(\theta)[/tex]

You can then rearrange these to get [tex]dx=-r*sin(\theta)*d\theta \ and \ dy=r*cos(\theta)*d\theta[/tex]

Your limits on the integals can be found by subbing the x and y values into the new expressions for x and y. Remember that the inside integral is with respect to y and the outside integral is with respect to x. Also r=sqrt(x^2+y^2).

Have you draw a graph of this?

You have two circles, both with center (0,0), radius 1 and 2, and the straight line y= x.

the line y= x crosses the circle x+ y2= 1 at [itex]x= 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and y= 0 crosses the circle at x= 1. That's the reason for the limits of integration in the first integral. That line y= x crosses the circle x2+ y2= 4 at [itex]x= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. That's where the limits on the second integral come from. The line y= 2 crosses the circle at y= 2 which is where the final limits come from. Look closely at your graph and you should be able to see why it is divided into 3 integrals.

To change the order of integration, look at your graph. What are the least and greatest values of y? The least is, of course, y= 0. The greatest occurs where the line y= x crosses the larger circle which is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Those will be the limits on the outer, dy, integral: y= 0 and [itex]y= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Now, the limits on the inner, dx, integral for each y will be the left and right hand x-values of the horizontal line at y. You should be able to see that there will be two distinct integrals because the left-hand curve changes where y= x intersects the smaller circle: at [itex]y= 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex].

But when I have the limits, do I then just integrate x*y with the limits I found, and then replace x and with x=r*cos(theta) and y=r*sin(theta) for dr dtheta ?

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a mathematical system used to locate points in a two-dimensional plane. They are represented by a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from a reference line.

2. How are polar coordinates related to rectangular coordinates?

Polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates are two different ways of representing the same point in a two-dimensional plane. The x-coordinate in rectangular coordinates is equivalent to r cos(θ) in polar coordinates, and the y-coordinate in rectangular coordinates is equivalent to r sin(θ) in polar coordinates.

3. What is an integral in polar coordinates?

An integral in polar coordinates is a method of finding the area under a curve in a polar coordinate system. It involves integrating a function over a given interval of θ values and multiplying by the length of the radius, r.

4. How do you convert between polar and rectangular coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates, use the equations x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). To convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates, use the equations r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x).

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates and integrals?

Polar coordinates and integrals have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate the area of irregular shapes, find the center of mass of an object, and determine the trajectory of a moving object. They are also used in polar coordinate-based imaging techniques, such as ultrasound and radar systems.