Trying to find this double integral using polar coordinates

First, you're not going to get tan from a relation involving tan. Next, you need to convert the limits on x and y to limits on r and theta. You've got a line on one side of the region and a curve on the other. Try converting each one separately to polar coordinates. You should get r = something for the line and a curve definition for the curve. If you need help with this, let's see your work.In summary, the question is asking for the value of the double integral of x over the region D, where D is the region in the first quadrant bounded by the lines y=x^2 and y=x, with the domain of 0≤x
devinaxxx

Homework Statement

question :
find the value of
[itex] \iint_D \frac{x}{(x^2 + y^2)}dxdy [/itex]

domain : 0≤x≤1,x2≤y≤x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so here, i tried to draw it first and i got that the domain is region in first quadrant bounded by y=x2 and y=x

and i decided to convert the equation to polar coordinate,

[itex] \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_{(r^2cos^2\theta)}^{rcos \theta}cos \theta dr d\theta\\ [/itex]
i proceed to solve the integral, but still got r in the last equation. the answer of the book said 1/2log2
and also i already tried without using polar coordinate and just using the cartessian and i got 1/2log2, but I am so curious can i do this problem using polar coordinate or not? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
devinaxxx said:

Homework Statement

question :
find the value of

domain : 0≤x≤1,x2≤y≤x
I believe you mean the 2nd inequality to say ##x^2 \le y \le x##. If so, at the very least, write x^2 as you did above.
devinaxxx said:

Homework Equations

so here, i tried to draw it first and i got that the domain is region in first quadrant bounded by y=x2 and y=x
##y = x^2##?
devinaxxx said:

[itex] \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_{(r^2cos^2\theta)}^{rcos \theta}cos \theta dr d\theta\\ [/itex]
Your polar integral doesn't look right to me. The outer integral should be from ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/4##. For the inner integral, r ranges from 0 to the graph of ##y = x^2##. When this equation is converted to polar form, the first result would be ##r\cos(\theta) = r^2 \cos^2(\theta)##. Also, dxdy gets converted to ##r dr d\theta##, but I can't tell from your work whether you did that.
devinaxxx said:
i proceed to solve the integral, but still got r in the last equation. the answer of the book said 1/2log2
What you wrote would normally be interpreted as ##\frac 1 2 \log(2)##. Do you mean ##\frac 1 {2 \log(2)}##? Also, many textbooks use log(x) to mean the common log, or log base-10, and use ln(x) for the natural log.
devinaxxx said:
and also i already tried without using polar coordinate and just using the cartessian and i got 1/2log2, but I am so curious can i do this problem using polar coordinate or not? thanks

Last edited:
devinaxxx said:
but I am so curious can i do this problem using polar coordinate or not? thanks

Yes, you can do it using polar coordinates, but your limits are all wrong. Draw a sketch of the region and rethink them.

Mark44 said:
I believe you mean the 2nd inequality to say ##x^2 \le y \le x##. If so, at the very least, write x^2 as you did above.
##y = x^2##?

Your polar integral doesn't look right to me. The outer integral should be from ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/4##. For the inner integral, r ranges from 0 to the graph of ##y = x^2##. When this equation is converted to polar form, the first result would be ##r\cos(\theta) = r^2 \cos^2(\theta)##. Also, dxdy gets converted to ##r dr d\theta##, but I can't tell from your work whether you did that.
What you wrote would normally be interpreted as ##\frac 1 2 \log(2)##. Do you mean ##\frac 1 {2 \log(2)}##? Also, many textbooks use log(x) to mean the common log, or log base-10, and use ln(x) for the natural log.
hello thankyou for answering my question, and i will edit my post. i think i got it that the outer coordinate is, ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/4## by using coordinate [itex](1,1)[/itex] and [itex] tan \theta = y/x [/itex] right? and for the r itself, is it [itex] \sqrt 2 \le r \le \sqrt 2[/itex]? and also i was confused, i drawed in cartessian coordinate,after i changed to polar coordinate, is it always going to be a circle?

Last edited by a moderator:
devinaxxx said:

Homework Statement

question :
find the value of

domain :[itex] 0≤x≤1,x^2≤y≤x[/itex]

Homework Equations

so here, i tried to draw it first and i got that the domain is region in first quadrant bounded by [itex]y=x^2[/itex] and [itex]y=x[/itex]

i proceed to solve the integral, but still got r in the last equation. the answer of the book said [itex] \frac{1}{2}log2[/itex]

Dick said:
Yes, you can do it using polar coordinates, but your limits are all wrong. Draw a sketch of the region and rethink them.
hello thankyou for answering my question, i got it that the outer coordinate is, ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/4## by using coordinate [itex](1,1)[/itex] and [itex] tan \theta = y/x [/itex] right? and for the r itself, is it [itex] \sqrt 2 \le r \le \sqrt 2[/itex] or [itex] rcos \theta \le r \le 1 [/itex],, is this true??

devinaxxx said:
hello thankyou for answering my question, i got it that the outer coordinate is, ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/4## by using coordinate [itex](1,1)[/itex] and [itex] tan \theta = y/x [/itex] right? and for the r itself, is it [itex] \sqrt 2 \le r \le \sqrt 2[/itex] or [itex] rcos \theta \le r \le 1 [/itex],, is this true??

The ##\theta## range is right. The outer value of ##r## will depend on ##\theta##, won't it?? It's ##\sqrt 2## at ##\theta = \pi/4## but decreases to zero at ##\theta=0##. When you write ##r## as a function of ##\theta## check those two conditions.

Dick said:
The ##\theta## range is right. The outer value of ##r## will depend on ##\theta##, won't it?? It's ##\sqrt 2## at ##\theta = \pi/4## but decreases to zero at ##\theta=0##. When you write ##r## as a function of ##\theta## check those two conditions.
okay i think, [itex] 0 \le r \le tan \theta sec \theta [/itex] ? since the region is from origin to [itex] y= x^2 [/itex] ?

devinaxxx said:
okay i think, [itex] 0 \le r \le tan \theta sec \theta [/itex] ? since the region is from origin to [itex] y= x^2 [/itex] ?

You've got it.

Thankyou so much but in this question can i just substitue directly to the x range? So [itex] 0 \le x \le 1 =0 \le r sin /theta \le 1 [/itex]?

Dick said:
You've got it.
Thankyou so much but can i just subtitue directly to [itex] 0 \le x \le 1 = 0 \le rsin \theta \le 1 [/itex] to get the r value? Or i should draw it?

devinaxxx said:
Thankyou so much but can i just subtitue directly to [itex] 0 \le x \le 1 = 0 \le rsin \theta \le 1 [/itex] to get the r value? Or i should draw it?

I'm not sure why you are asking. Didn't we decide that the ranges are ##0 \le \theta \le \pi/4## and ##0 \le r \le \sec \theta \tan \theta##? Isn't that all we need to know?

Dick said:
I'm not sure why you are asking. Didn't we decide that the ranges are ##0 \le \theta \le \pi/4## and ##0 \le r \le \sec \theta \tan \theta##? Isn't that all we need to know?
yes but I am just wondering can i just substitute to the domain in cartessian to find the range?

devinaxxx said:
yes but I am just wondering can i just substitute to the domain in cartessian to find the range?
I think you are confused about the meaning of these terms. In the context of this problem, domain means the region in the plane over which integration is being performed. The domain is described in terms of intervals (probably a better choice of words than "range").

In Cartesian form, the region of integration is described by the pair of inequalities ##0 \le x \le 1; x^2 \le y \le x##, and the integrand is in Cartesian form.

When you convert an integral to polar form, you have to convert everything to polar form: the integrand, the description of the region over which integration is being performed (which determines what the limits of integration will be), and the differentials (i.e., dxdy or dydx becomes ##rdrd\theta##.

You posted this problem 11 days ago. What's keeping you from finishing it?

devinaxxx said:
You know what the correct limits for the polar integral are. Are you asking if you can get the polar coordinate limits by substituting directly into the xy double integral limits? Have you tried doing that? Did it work? You should be able to tell us whether or not you can do it.

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used in double integrals?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system that uses an angle and a distance from the origin to represent a point in a plane. In double integrals, they are used to simplify the integration process by converting rectangular coordinates into polar coordinates.

2. How do you convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates, you need to substitute x and y with their polar equivalents, rcosθ and rsinθ, respectively. The limits of integration also need to be changed accordingly.

3. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates in double integrals?

There are several advantages of using polar coordinates in double integrals. First, they can simplify complex integrals by reducing them to a single variable. Second, they are useful for integrating functions with circular or symmetric boundaries. Third, they can make certain physical problems, such as calculating areas and volumes, easier to solve.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration in a double integral using polar coordinates?

The limits of integration in a double integral using polar coordinates depend on the region of integration. To determine the limits, you need to draw a graph and identify the boundaries of the region. Then, you can use geometric relationships to express the boundaries in terms of polar coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates in double integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to using polar coordinates in double integrals. They are not suitable for all types of regions, such as those with corners or discontinuities. Additionally, converting from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates can sometimes make the integral more complex, rather than simplifying it. It is important to carefully consider the region of integration before deciding to use polar coordinates.