LimSup of a Sequence: Existence & Unbounded Cases

• Thread starter C.E
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of limsup for a sequence in R and the cases when it exists, including when the sequence is unbounded. The conversation also includes a question about the definition and the properties of the sequence v_n. It is mentioned that v_n may be increasing, decreasing, bounded, or unbounded and that its limit may exist or not depending on these properties. The conversation also poses a question about the monotonicity of v_n and provides an example for when it is monotonically decreasing but unbounded.
C.E
1. Let a_n be a sequence in R. Define [tex]\limsup_{n \to \infty} a_n[/tex]. Explain why it exists including the cases when the sequence is unbounded.

3. I did the following, is it ok?

definition:

[tex]\limsup_{n \to \infty} a_n[/tex]=[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} sup_{k \geq n}a_k[/tex].

Is this right, I seem to have lost this part of my notes!

I know that when it is not bounded (above) the limsup is infinite. What I am really having

trouble with is explaining why it exists. What do you think they want me to say? (By the

way this question was worth 10 marks so they want a lot of detail).

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]v_n=sup_{k \geq n}a_k[/tex]

What kind of sequence is v_n? increasing, decreasing, bounded,...

Is v_n always a decreasing sequence? It may be bounded or it may not be. If it is bounded then by the completeness axiom its limit must exist, but what if it is not bounded?

Last edited:
C.E said:
Is v_n always a decreasing sequence? It may be bounded or it may not be. If it is bounded then by the completeness axiom its limit must exist, but what if it is not bounded?

If it's monotonically decreasing but unbounded, then for every positive B, there is an N such that

[tex]v_n \leq -B[/tex] for all [tex]n \geq N[/tex]

in which case by definition we write

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} v_n = -\infty[/tex]

Is it increasing then? If so why?

Related to LimSup of a Sequence: Existence & Unbounded Cases

What is the definition of LimSup of a Sequence?

The LimSup of a sequence is defined as the limit of the supremum of the sequence. In simpler terms, it is the largest number that the sequence gets arbitrarily close to as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

What is the importance of studying LimSup of a Sequence?

Studying LimSup of a Sequence is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in calculus, analysis, and probability. It helps us understand the behavior of a sequence and its limit, and allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the sequence.

What is the difference between LimSup and LimInf of a Sequence?

The LimSup and LimInf of a sequence are two different types of limits. The LimSup is the largest limit that the sequence approaches, while the LimInf is the smallest limit that the sequence approaches. In general, the LimSup and LimInf may or may not be equal, and their values can provide different insights into the behavior of a sequence.

Does the LimSup of a Sequence always exist?

No, the LimSup of a sequence does not always exist. It only exists if the sequence is bounded, meaning that there is a finite number that the terms of the sequence cannot exceed. If the sequence is unbounded, meaning that there is no limit to how large the terms can get, then the LimSup does not exist.

What if the LimSup of a Sequence is infinity?

If the LimSup of a sequence is infinity, it means that the sequence is unbounded. This means that as the number of terms in the sequence increases, the terms are not approaching a specific limit but instead are getting larger and larger without bound. In this case, the LimSup does not exist.