Math Refresher for College Prep: Tips & Resources

• Thread starter ZeroDauto
  • Start date
In summary, this person started college last year and is now looking for help getting ready for their first semester. They've had some math classes, but they need to refresh their skills in calculus. They found online resources and books that they think will help them.
ZeroDauto
Hello everyone, I just realized that I can understand the concepts of physics just find, but I need a refresher in the math before I start college in January. So I was wonder if anyone has any web references or books that I could use to get up to speed before I start college.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZeroDauto said:
Hello everyone, I just realized that I can understand the concepts of physics just find, but I need a refresher in the math before I start college in January. So I was wonder if anyone has any web references or books that I could use to get up to speed before I start college.

Is this going to be your first semester? What's the highest level of math you've had?

n!kofeyn said:
Is this going to be your first semester? What's the highest level of math you've had?

I started college last year as a history major but then I dropped out, so this would technically be my first semester. I've taken algebra, I think algebra 2, geometry, and applied math. But I will need a refresher on those as well.

You need to learn calculus. As such, you should make sure your algebra and geometry are quite strong. Really, I would say getting a head start on learning calculus would be more fruitful than reviewing this stuff though.

The best maths preparation I have seen which is suitable for self-study is K.A. Stroud's book "Engineering Mathematics" which is called a 'programmed' text because all the lessons are arranged with test questions and loopback instructions for wrong answers. It would not be difficult to find even casual assistance from a tutor, working from this text.

I see thanks, so I'll find some books or online resources on trigonometry and calculus to start with. I appreciate the advice!

I second the notion that you should be proficient with algebra, as well as trigonometry. You should be able to factor things out like noboby's business (quadratics, difference of two squares), simplify things (multiplying by conjugates to help simplify expressions with square roots, common denominators), solving for variables, properties of exponents, ln properties, functions (and their inverses, domains, rangle), graphing, etc. For trigonometry, you should understand reference triangles, the two special triangles, all the trigonometric functions and their inverses, and being able to compute something like [itex]\sin(5\pi/6)[/itex].

These things above are why so many students have trouble with calculus. Almost every time somebody asks me a question, the problem is almost always centered around an algebra step, not calculus.

Thanks, much appreciation.

1. What is a math refresher for college prep?

A math refresher for college prep is a review of foundational math concepts and skills that are necessary for success in college-level math courses. It covers topics such as algebra, geometry, and basic arithmetic.

2. Why is a math refresher important for college prep?

A math refresher is important for college prep because it helps students solidify their understanding of fundamental math concepts before entering college. It also prepares them for the more advanced math courses they will encounter in college.

3. How can I find resources for a math refresher for college prep?

There are many resources available for a math refresher for college prep, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions offered by your college or university.

4. What are some tips for successfully completing a math refresher for college prep?

Some tips for successfully completing a math refresher for college prep include setting a study schedule, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and staying organized. It is also important to approach the material with a positive attitude and not get discouraged.

5. How long does it take to complete a math refresher for college prep?

The amount of time it takes to complete a math refresher for college prep can vary depending on the individual's current math skills and the intensity of their study. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It is important to give yourself enough time to thoroughly review and understand the material.