Mechanics problem (Bullet penetration)

In summary, the collision between a 7.00g bullet and a 1.00kg block of wood initially held in a vise and then placed on a frictionless horizontal surface results in the bullet penetrating to a depth of 8.00cm. In the second case, when the bullet is fired into the already impacted block, the bullet and block will travel together with the same initial velocity as the bullet and the depth of penetration will be 7.994cm, only slightly less than the first case. The collision is inelastic and momentum and total energy are conserved.
tanzl

Homework Statement

A 7.00g bullet, when ired from a gun into a 1.00kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a depth of 8.00cm. This block of wood is placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7.00g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first case, by taking the final velocity as 0 and displacement as 8.00cm.
I can get the initial velocity of bullet in terms of acceleration or time by using kinematics equations.
or I can find the force of the bullet exerts on the block by equating EK = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r
But they are not seems to be useful in case 2.

In case 2, I am not sure how the mechanics will occur. But, I think the bullet will travel with the same initial velocity, penetrate a shorter distance into the block and bring the block to travel with it with some velocity. I do not know how to put this by using physical principals. I guess I need to use conservation of energy again. By equating
EK of bullet = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r + EK of (bullet + block). But I do not think I have enough information to do that. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Hint: What else is conserved during the collision of bullet and block in case 2?

I think momentum is conserved which gives
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv1 = (M+m)v2 ...(1)
where m=mass of bullet
M=mass of block
v1=initial velocity of bullet
v2=velocity of bullet and block

From the 1st case,
I have [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv12 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1 ... (2)

From the 2nd case,
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv12 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv22... (3)

By equating (3) and (2)
I have F([tex]\Delta[/tex]r1-[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](M+m)v22

But I still have one extra unknown (r2 , F , v1) for 2 equations.
I have one more question here, if I had assumed that the collision is inelastic, will (3) still correct since the kinetic energy is not conserved anymore.

Last edited:
tanzl said:
I think momentum is conserved which gives
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv1 = (M+m)v2 ...(1)
where m=mass of bullet
M=mass of block
v1=initial velocity of bullet
v2=velocity of bullet and block
Good. But get rid of that 1/2.

From the 1st case,
I have [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv12 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1 ... (2)
Good.

From the 2nd case,
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv12 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv22... (3)
Good, but that second "m" should be "M + m".

By equating (3) and (2)
I have F([tex]\Delta[/tex]r1-[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](M+m)v22

But I still have one extra unknown (r2 , F , v1) for 2 equations.
You have 3 equations. In any case, noodle around with the equations, expressing everything in terms of F, r_1, & r_2. See what happens.
I have one more question here, if I had assumed that the collision is inelastic, will (3) still correct since the kinetic energy is not conserved anymore.
The collision is most definitely inelastic. KE is not conserved--total energy is conserved. (Your equation 3 is a total energy equation, not simply a KE equation.)

Oops... I apologise for all the typing errors.

Wow, the unknowns canceled like magic. Thank you so much.
The final answer I got is 7.994cm. Not much different from the first penetration.

I get a slightly different answer, so you might want to recheck your arithmetic. But there's not much difference.

I recheck my arithmetic. There is nothing wrong.

The final expression I get is
mv12 = mv12*[tex]\frac{\Delta r_2}{\Delta r_1}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{m^2}{M+m}[/tex]*v12

Canceled off all the v and m gives
[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2 = [tex]\frac{M}{M+m}[/tex]*[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1
= 1/1.007 * 0.08
= 0.07994m

tanzl said:
Canceled off all the v gives
[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2 = [tex]\frac{M}{M+m}[/tex]*[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1
Right.
= 1/1.007 * 0.08
= 0.07994m
According to my calculator, 1/1.007 * 0.08 = 0.07944 m.

Yea.. Thank you so much for your help.

1. How does the velocity of a bullet affect its penetration?

The velocity of a bullet plays a crucial role in its ability to penetrate a target. As the bullet travels at a higher speed, it will have more kinetic energy and therefore be able to penetrate deeper into the target. This is why higher velocity bullets, such as those used in rifles, are able to penetrate thicker and harder materials compared to lower velocity bullets, like those used in handguns.

2. What factors other than velocity can affect bullet penetration?

Aside from velocity, other factors that can affect bullet penetration include the shape and composition of the bullet, the angle at which it impacts the target, and the density and thickness of the target material. Additionally, environmental factors such as air resistance and temperature can also play a role in bullet penetration.

3. What is the relationship between bullet diameter and penetration?

The diameter of a bullet can also impact its penetration. In general, a larger diameter bullet will have a greater surface area, which can result in more resistance and therefore less penetration. However, this also depends on the velocity and composition of the bullet. A larger diameter bullet traveling at a higher velocity may still have greater penetration compared to a smaller diameter bullet.

4. How does the shape of a bullet affect its penetration?

The shape of a bullet can greatly impact its penetration capabilities. Bullets with a pointed or tapered shape are able to penetrate deeper compared to flat or rounded bullets. This is because pointed bullets have a smaller surface area, resulting in less resistance and allowing them to penetrate more easily through a target.

5. Can the distance between the shooter and the target affect bullet penetration?

Yes, the distance between the shooter and the target can have an impact on bullet penetration. As the bullet travels a longer distance, it will experience more air resistance and lose velocity, which can result in reduced penetration. This is why bullets fired from a longer distance may not penetrate as deeply as those fired from a closer range, even if they have the same initial velocity.