Bullet hitting a wood block in a vise. Find initial velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the depth of penetration of a 7.00 g bullet into a 1.10 kg block of wood held in a vise, and then on a frictionless surface. The initial velocity is unknown, but momentum and the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum are used to solve for the depth of penetration. The concepts of work, force, kinematic equations, and Newton's laws are also important in solving this problem.
hevans1

Homework Statement

A 7.00 g bullet, when fired from a gun into a 1.10 kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a depth of 6.40 cm. This block of wood is next placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7.00 g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
p = mv
m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1+m2)vf
Δp = ƩF dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm pretty baffled. I can't do anything with momentum without an initial velocity, and I can't find that without acceleration or time. I've seen some other posts that talk about resistive force, but we haven't discussed that so I don't think that's necessary. I think the vise is what's throwing me for a loop. It's inelastic, so there no conserved energy. I'm just not sure what the first step is.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a comparison between the vise and the free block.
This is one of those situations where you have to write down a bunch of simultanious equations.

You know that momentum is conserved.

You know the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum.

You know the relationship between work and change in energy, also work and force.

You also know a bunch of kinematic equations and Newtons laws.

Last edited:

What is the equation for calculating the initial velocity of a bullet hitting a wood block in a vise?

The equation is v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the wood block.

How do you measure the height of the wood block in the vise?

The height can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Alternatively, you can use a sensor or camera to record the height as the bullet hits the block.

What factors affect the initial velocity of the bullet in this experiment?

The initial velocity of the bullet can be affected by the type of gun used, the type and weight of the bullet, the angle at which the gun is fired, and any external forces such as wind.

Can the initial velocity be calculated if the bullet passes through the block?

Yes, the initial velocity can still be calculated by measuring the exit velocity of the bullet and using the equation v = √(2gh), where h is the thickness of the wood block.

What are some possible sources of error in calculating the initial velocity?

Possible sources of error could include inaccurate measurements of the height or thickness of the wood block, variation in the gun's performance, or human error in recording the data.