Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe

In summary, a student with a M.Sc. in theoretical physics is seeking a PHD and is interested in groups in Europe that are relevant to the study of QFT, particularly in regards to the mass problem in particle physics without the use of the Higgs mechanism. They are also interested in the Renormalization Group, General Relativity, and quantum effects in gravitation, as well as the physics of the early universe, Dark Energy, and inflation. The student is not interested in working with strings, supersymmetry, Kaluza-Klein, or quintessence. Their thesis focused on conformal transformations in General Relativity and QFT in 4D. They specifically mention being interested in Shaposhnikov's Group
Aisenor
Hello, I am a student with a M.Sc. in theoretical physics in search of a PHD. I would like to know which groups in Europe have some relevance in the context of QFT, in particular the problem of the mass in particle physics (no Higgs mechanism), Renormalization Group,.. and General Relativity in particular quantum effects in gravitation, physics of the early universe, Dark Energy, inflation...I' don't like to work in the framework of strings , supersymmetry, Kaluza-Klein, quintessence. To be clear my thesis focused on the conformal transformations in General Relativity and QFT in 4D. thanks

ps: For example i like Shaposhnikov's Group (Lousanne)...is a good group?

Physics news on Phys.org
upup

As a fellow scientist in the field of theoretical physics, I understand your desire to find a relevant and stimulating PhD program in Europe. It is important to find a group that aligns with your research interests and goals, and it seems like you have a clear focus on QFT and General Relativity without the use of string theory, supersymmetry, Kaluza-Klein, or quintessence.

I would recommend doing some further research on Shaposhnikov's Group at Lousanne, as well as other potential groups in Europe that have a strong focus on QFT and General Relativity. You may also want to reach out to colleagues and professors in the field for their recommendations and insights on different research groups in Europe.

It is also worth considering the resources and funding available at each institution, as well as the potential for collaboration and networking opportunities. Ultimately, the best group for you will depend on your specific research interests and finding a supportive environment for your PhD journey. I wish you the best of luck in finding the right program for you.

1. What is a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe?

A Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe is a research-based degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental principles of physics and their application in the development of theoretical models. It involves advanced coursework, independent research, and the completion of a dissertation.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe?

Some potential benefits of pursuing a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe include gaining a deep understanding of the fundamental laws of nature, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and having the opportunity to work with leading researchers in the field. Additionally, many European countries have strong research funding and facilities for theoretical physics.

3. How long does it take to complete a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe?

The duration of a Phd program in Theoretical Physics in Europe can vary, but typically takes around 3-4 years to complete. This time frame may be longer if a student chooses to pursue additional research or teaching opportunities during their program.

4. What are the admission requirements for a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe?

Admission requirements for a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe may vary depending on the university, but generally include a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Some universities may also require GRE scores and proof of language proficiency.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe?

Graduates with a Phd in Theoretical Physics in Europe have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including positions in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private industries such as technology and finance. Some may also choose to pursue careers in science communication or policy.