A problem involving two velocities (special relativity)

In summary, the question is about determining the velocity of an object with respect to a reference frame S', which is moving at 0.9c toward the x-axis, while the object is moving at 0.9c toward the y-axis with respect to reference frame S. The correct answer can be found by multiplying the Lorentz factor of S' and the Lorentz factor of the object in S, which results in a velocity of 0.982c. However, the process of determining this velocity may be confusing and it is recommended to refer to the equations for dealing with parallel and perpendicular velocity components.
raul_l
Hi.

An object is moving at 0.9c toward the y-axis (with respect to reference frame S). What is the velocity of the object with respect to reference frame S' that moves at 0.9c toward the x-axis?

I get the right answer if I assume that the Lorentz factor of the object moving with respect to S' is the product of the Lorentz factor of S' and that of the object moving with respect to S. In other words
[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{c^2}}}=\frac{1}{1-\frac{0.9^2}{c^2}} [/tex]
in which case x=0.98c which should be correct.

However, I have no idea what I'm doing here so any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
raul_l said:
An object is moving at 0.9c toward the y-axis (with respect to reference frame S). What is the velocity of the object with respect to reference frame S' that moves at 0.9c toward the x-axis?
Did you state this problem correctly? It is unusual to say S' is moving in the y direction (toward the x-axis). If the statement is correct S' and the object are moving at right angles in S.

Well, this is what I meant. (see the drawing).

(and sorry, if I didn't translate the problem into english correctly)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 435
raul_l said:
Well, this is what I meant. (see the drawing).

(and sorry, if I didn't translate the problem into english correctly)
OK I see that you really do have a particle moving through S in a direction perpendicular to the motion of S' in S.

I really do not see how you did your computation in the original post. Your diagram does not seem to incorporate the things you need to recognize to do this problem. In particular, if your diagram is drawn in S', the horizontal velocity component is altered by the time dilation effect, while the vertical component is not. The particle moves the same horizontal distance in both frames, but time dilation results in a lower velocity in S' than observed in S. Since the particle has no vertical motion in S, its vertical velocity in S' is v, the speed of S' relative to S.

The horizontal component would be 0.9c*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), while the vertical compoent would be 0.9c. Adding these components gives a velocity of magnitude of .982c

The general approach to this kind of additiuon is outlined here.

http://panda.unm.edu/courses/finley/P262/relativity/relativity.html

See especially equations (7) and (8) that tell you how to deal with parallel and perpendicular (to the relative motion of the frames) velocity components. If you apply those equations correctly, they will reduce to what I described above.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does special relativity affect the concept of time dilation?

Special relativity states that time is relative and can be affected by the velocity of an object. This means that time will pass slower for an object moving at high velocities compared to an object at rest. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

2. Can two objects have different velocities and still observe the same event simultaneously?

According to special relativity, time and space are intertwined, and the concept of simultaneity is relative. This means that two objects moving at different velocities can have different perceptions of time and space, and what is considered simultaneous for one object may not be simultaneous for the other.

3. How do the concepts of length contraction and time dilation relate to each other?

Length contraction and time dilation are both consequences of the theory of special relativity. Length contraction refers to the shortening of an object's length in the direction of its motion, while time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion. These two phenomena are interrelated and occur simultaneously for objects moving at high velocities.

4. Can an object exceed the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. This means that no object can exceed the speed of light, and as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light.

5. How does time dilation affect the aging of an object?

Time dilation states that the passage of time will be slower for an object moving at high velocities compared to an object at rest. This means that an object in motion will age slower than an object at rest, and this effect becomes more significant as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light. This phenomenon has been experimentally proven through various experiments, including the famous "twin paradox."