Solving Two-Block Pulley System w/Expln

In summary, the accelerations in parts a) and b) are different because in part a) both masses are being accelerated together, whereas in part b) only one mass is being accelerated. Additionally, in part b) the tension in the rope is provided by an external force, whereas in part a) it is the difference in weights of the masses that causes the acceleration.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

As part a of the drawing shows, two blocks are connected by a rope that passes over a set of pulleys. One block has a weight of m1 = 312 N, and the other has a weight of m2 = 758 N. The rope and the pulleys are massless and there is no friction.
p4-84alt.gif

(a) What is the acceleration of the lighter block?
m/s2
(b) Suppose that the heavier block is removed, and a downward force of 758 N is provided by someone pulling on the rope, as part b of the drawing shows. Find the acceleration of the remaining block.
m/s2
(c) Explain why the answers in (a) and (b) are different.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

758 - 312 = 446, the net force of the entire system. Then I plugged this into Fnet = ma, 446 = ma. To get the mass, I did 758 + 312 1070, and then divided by the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8, and got 109.184. I plugged in and got 446 = 109.184(a), solved for a and got 4.085 as the accelearation in part a. What I don't understand is how the acceleration in part b is different, since the same force is being applied? Or is it because I don't add the weight of the human to my mass measurement when finding out that acceleration? Why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
keemosabi said:

Homework Statement

As part a of the drawing shows, two blocks are connected by a rope that passes over a set of pulleys. One block has a weight of m1 = 312 N, and the other has a weight of m2 = 758 N. The rope and the pulleys are massless and there is no friction.

(a) What is the acceleration of the lighter block?
m/s2
(b) Suppose that the heavier block is removed, and a downward force of 758 N is provided by someone pulling on the rope, as part b of the drawing shows. Find the acceleration of the remaining block.
m/s2
(c) Explain why the answers in (a) and (b) are different.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

758 - 312 = 446, the net force of the entire system. Then I plugged this into Fnet = ma, 446 = ma. To get the mass, I did 758 + 312 1070, and then divided by the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8, and got 109.184. I plugged in and got 446 = 109.184(a), solved for a and got 4.085 as the accelearation in part a. What I don't understand is how the acceleration in part b is different, since the same force is being applied? Or is it because I don't add the weight of the human to my mass measurement when finding out that acceleration? Why not?

What is the difference in rope tension between a and b?

LowlyPion said:
What is the difference in rope tension between a and b?
Don't I need the acceleration in part B to find the rope tension in that part? I usually use Fnet = ma and I substitute in for m and a, and that gives me the net force, and I can easily then find out the tension.

Have I done something wrong?

keemosabi said:
Don't I need the acceleration in part B to find the rope tension in that part? I usually use Fnet = ma and I substitute in for m and a, and that gives me the net force, and I can easily then find out the tension.

In part a) you have the masses m1 and m2 accelerating according to the difference in the 2 masses. Hence as you calculated the acceleration is based on that differences in m*g's, but it is applied to accelerating both the masses. Here the acceleration is expressed by g*(m2 - m1)/(m2 + m1).

In part b) the force is given as a constant 758N and that is the tension provided by the human. The tension 758N acts on the mass m1 and it's accelerated with the whole 758N minus just the 331 from its m1*g. The acceleration derived this Fnet then is g*(m2 - m1)/m1

FAQ: Solving Two-Block Pulley System w/Expln

1. What is a two-block pulley system?

A two-block pulley system is a mechanical device that uses two pulleys and a rope or cable to transfer force and lift or move objects. The pulleys are connected to each other and to a fixed point, creating a system of multiple ropes and tension forces.

2. How do you solve a two-block pulley system?

To solve a two-block pulley system, you must first identify all the forces acting on the system, including the weight of the blocks and the tension forces in the ropes. Then, you can use the equations of motion and the principles of equilibrium to calculate the unknown forces and determine the motion of the system.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley in a two-block pulley system?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to a moving object. In a two-block pulley system, the fixed pulley is connected to the ceiling or a support structure, while the movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted or moved.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a two-block pulley system?

The efficiency of a two-block pulley system is affected by the friction between the ropes and the pulleys, the weight and size of the blocks, and the angle of the ropes. Generally, a system with less friction and a lower angle of the ropes will have a higher efficiency.

5. How can a two-block pulley system be used in real-life applications?

A two-block pulley system has many practical uses, such as lifting heavy objects in construction or manufacturing, lifting and lowering sails on a sailboat, and even in simple machines like a flagpole. It can also be used in more complex systems, such as elevators and cranes, to safely and efficiently move heavy loads.