Sums of Independent Random Variables

In summary, the probability that the average of the accounts selected at store #1 exceeds the average of those accounts at store #2 is about 11/3.
WHB3

Homework Statement

Vicki owns two separtment stores. Delinquent charge accounts at store #1 show a normal distribution, with mean $90 and std. deviation $30, whereas at store #2, they show a normal distribution with mean $100 and std. deviation $50. If 10 delinquent accounts are selected randomly at store #1 and 15 at store #2, what is the probability that the average of the accounts selected at store #1 exceeds the average of those accounts at store #2?

Homework Equations

Let X1=N(90,30); where n=10, XBar1=N(90,30/10)=N(90/3). Let X2=N(100,50); where n=15, XBar2=N(100,50/15)=N(100,3.33)

The Attempt at a Solution

We need P(XBar1-XBar2>=1)=P((XBar1-XBar2+10)/Sqrt(-.33))>=(1+10)/Sqrt(-.33)
=11/(Sqrt(-.333))? This doesn't make any sense to me!

Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm... haven't done much probability for a while

but based on your sampling I would try & come up with a probabilty distribution for the average of the measurement...

so to start, say we pick X n times, then let Y be the average of the n samples, so the random variable Y is given by:
Y = (X +...+ X)/n (sum of n times)

What is the expected value & variance of Y, assuming each picked X is independent? Shouldn't be too hard to calculate... (though independence is an important assumtion...)

If you have done this for both cases, then consider independent the random variables Y1 & Y2, how do you find the probabilty of Z = Y1-Y2 >0.

Maybe something similar to first process, to find expectation & variance, then sums of guassian distributions are also gaussian...

I see what you're saying, that the sample means should reflect the multiple of the sample size. However, don't I still end up with a denominator equal to the square root of minus 1/3?

After several more attempts (and re-reading your analysis), I think I finally solved the problem. Thanks, Lanedance!

good one, glad it worked

What are independent random variables?

Independent random variables are variables that are not influenced by each other. This means that the outcome of one variable does not affect the outcome of the other.

What is the sum of independent random variables?

The sum of independent random variables is a new random variable that is created by adding the values of the individual random variables together. This is also known as a convolution.

How do you calculate the sum of independent random variables?

The sum of independent random variables can be calculated by adding the individual probabilities of each variable. This can be done by using a mathematical formula or by using a probability table.

What is the importance of sums of independent random variables in statistics?

Sums of independent random variables are important in statistics because they allow for the analysis of complex systems. By breaking down a system into individual random variables, we can better understand and make predictions about the overall system.

What are some real-world applications of sums of independent random variables?

Sums of independent random variables are used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and biology. For example, in finance, they are used to model stock prices and in biology, they are used to model genetic traits. They are also used in quality control to monitor and improve processes.