Applying to Summer REU Programs: Tips & Advice

In summary, the speaker has been applying to summer REU programs in material science and nanoscience, with a high GPA and strong admission essays and letters of recommendation. However, they have not yet been accepted into any programs and are seeking tips for improving their chances. They have applied to six programs, but it is recommended that they apply to more. The speaker has already applied to the Cornell program, but the acceptance rate is low. It is suggested that they look for programs with later deadlines and apply early. One person has already heard back from Northwestern, but the others are still waiting for responses.
meteorologist1
I have been trying to apply to summer REU (research experience for undergraduates) programs, in particular in material science and nanoscience. Last year I didn't get into any of the four I applied to. This year I applied to another six, and so far I have received one denial. I'm beginning to worry if there's something that is preventing me from being accepted into one of these REUs. I have a relatively high GPA (3.8 in math and 3.8 in physics). However, I do not have any experience with lab work. I believe my admission essays for the programs were great. I had my professors from my Physics and math classes write letters of recommendation for me. But I just don't understand why other people would get in and I don't.

Does anyone have any tips that you can share about applying to these REUs? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you should apply to MUCH MORE than merely six programs.

There must be dozens of REU programs involving material science.
http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.cfm?unitid=5052

Here's a group of REUs for nanoscience
http://www.cnf.cornell.edu/cnf5_reuprogram.html
(although the deadline just passed).
[There is an interesting italicized section that says
"(Applicants can indicate a preference for a particular NNIN site; however, internships will be awarded according to faculty choice and project compatibility. Last year, 561 students applied, and 63 of the 72 interns were accepted at their first-choice site. Of those who accepted an internship, 55 colleges were represented along with 18 majors ranging from Biology to Physics. The average GPA was 3.5. We hired 3 frosh, 22 sophomores, 34 juniors and 13 first year seniors.)"]

Some advice for next year: Try to get your application in early...

However, look through
http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm
There still may be programs whose deadline has not arrived yet!

Thanks for the advice. I actually did apply to the one at Cornell that you mentioned. But as you can see the chance of getting into that one is only about 13% (72/561). I will look through the NSF list and see if there are more places that I can apply to.

i have applied to six, all for physics, and i am yet to hear back from a single one.

which school responded, may i ask?

Northwestern responded. The others I applied to said they are going to respond at the end of this month or beginning of April.

What are the requirements for applying to a summer REU program?

The requirements for applying to a summer REU program vary depending on the specific program, but generally, applicants must be undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university. They also must have completed at least one year of undergraduate coursework and have a strong academic record. Some programs may also have specific requirements related to coursework, GPA, or research experience.

How can I find summer REU programs that align with my research interests?

There are several resources available for finding summer REU programs that align with your research interests. You can start by searching online databases, such as the National Science Foundation's REU Program Search or the Pathways to Science database. You can also reach out to your professors or academic advisors for recommendations, or attend research conferences to learn about different programs.

What should I include in my application for a summer REU program?

Typically, summer REU program applications will require you to submit a resume or CV, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a research proposal or a writing sample. It is important to carefully read the application requirements for each program and make sure to submit all required materials by the deadline.

How can I make my application stand out for a summer REU program?

To make your application stand out, it is important to highlight your academic achievements, research experience, and relevant skills. You should also tailor your personal statement to the specific program you are applying to and explain why you are interested in participating in that particular program. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation from professors or mentors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential can greatly enhance your application.

What are some tips for preparing for a summer REU program?

Some tips for preparing for a summer REU program include researching the program and its location, communicating with your mentor or program coordinator to understand expectations, and familiarizing yourself with the research topic or project you will be working on. It is also important to make sure you have all necessary documents and paperwork completed before starting the program, and to have a positive and open mindset for learning and growing through the research experience.