RC circuit, discharge with digital signal from FPGA

In summary, you need to find a way to discharge the caps without discharging them prematurely. You can use a FPGA or external circuitry.
ttsky
Hi all,

my task is to measure the charge time of an RC circuit with a counter using FPGA, once the cap is charged, i must discharge it again for next input. Idea is to discharge it with a signal from FPGA, but what sort of circuit would allow this without discharging the cap prematurely?

if it helps, the circuit is for a 4x4 matrix keypad, row and colums tied to resistors and a cap, each button press should produce a diffrent charge time, i need the caps to be discharged before next keystroke.

Thanks

∫Aziz∫

Attachments

• Untitled Diagram.jpg
    Untitled Diagram.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 480
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your stated task. Are you saying that you need to do this without any external supporting circuitry for the FPGA or do you intend on using external components?
You can use the FPGA alone, but your resistor values will need to be increased and the cap value lowered such that the FPGA I/O pin can be used as a discharge by pulling the cap low from a tri-state output (probably through a low value resistor to limit the current). To do this you need to set the resistor and cap values that the current in the discharge side is below the rated sink current of the I/O pin for the selected part. Search through the app notes of the various FPGA manufacturers about using their parts for A/D or with special inputs dedicated as comparator - I know Lattice has notes that describe this use.

You can use a GPIO - directly to a Base on an NPN, with a resistor to limit current. Cap ( to be discharged) -- Resistor -- Transistor Collector -the Transistor Emitter to ground.

Thank you for reply, There are no limitations on external circuits, however if i don't have to then i wont, i will explore those options and post an update soon.

thanks

I would suggest using a transistor switch in your circuit to discharge the capacitor. This will allow you to control the timing of the discharge using the digital signal from the FPGA. The transistor can be controlled by the FPGA and will only allow the capacitor to discharge when needed. This way, you can ensure that the capacitor is fully charged before the next input and then discharged before the next keystroke. Additionally, you may need to consider the capacitance of the transistor itself in your calculations to ensure accurate measurements. I would also recommend testing and calibrating your circuit to ensure reliable results. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and create a time delay.

2. How does an RC circuit discharge?

An RC circuit discharges when the capacitor releases stored electrical energy through the resistor. This process occurs when the power source is removed or when a switch is opened.

3. What is a digital signal from an FPGA?

A digital signal from an FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) is a type of digital electrical signal that is generated by the programmable logic device. It is used to control the flow of data within electronic circuits and devices.

4. How is an RC circuit discharged with a digital signal from an FPGA?

An RC circuit can be discharged with a digital signal from an FPGA by connecting the output of the FPGA to the switch that controls the circuit. When the FPGA sends a signal to the switch to open, the capacitor will discharge through the resistor.

5. What are the applications of using an RC circuit with a digital signal from an FPGA?

The combination of an RC circuit and a digital signal from an FPGA has various applications in electronics, such as in timing circuits, pulse generators, and signal processing. It is also commonly used in electronic devices to control power consumption and create precise time delays.