Mathematical methods for physicists(Numerical problems)

In summary, to find A and B given A+B and A-B, you can solve a system of linear equations by adding and subtracting the two equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other. A can be expressed as (x+y)/2 and B can be expressed as (x-y)/2.
Saad i Riaz

Homework Statement

Show how to find A and B, given A+B and A-B ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Are they vectors?

Doesn't really matter.

[tex]\textbf{A}+\textbf{B}=\textbf{x}[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{A}-\textbf{B}=\textbf{y}[/tex]

Do you know how to solve a system of linear equations?

ya these are vectors

Using the two equations above, write A in terms of x and y, and write B in terms of x and y. You can do this by adding one equation to the other, and subtracting one equation from the other.

please explain me in detail becoz i have tried but my answer is not correct...

[tex]\textbf{A}+\textbf{B}=\textbf{x}[/tex] (1)
[tex]\textbf{A}-\textbf{B}=\textbf{y}[/tex] (2)

Add eq (1) and (2):

[tex]\left(\textbf{A}+\textbf{B}=\textbf{x}\right) + \left(\textbf{A}-\textbf{B}=\textbf{y}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left(\textbf{A}+\textbf{B}+\textbf{A}-\textbf{B}\right) = \left(\textbf{x}+\textbf{y}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left(\textbf{A}+\textbf{A}\right) = \left(\textbf{x}+\textbf{y}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left(2\textbf{A}\right) = \left(\textbf{x}+\textbf{y}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{A} = \frac{\textbf{x}+\textbf{y}}{2}[/tex]

Subtract eq (2) from eq (1):

[tex]\left(\textbf{A}+\textbf{B}=\textbf{x}\right) - \left(\textbf{A}-\textbf{B}=\textbf{y}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{B} = \frac{\textbf{x}-\textbf{y}}{2}[/tex]

Thnx a lot for helping me.....

1. What are some common numerical methods used in physics?

Some common numerical methods used in physics include root finding methods, interpolation and extrapolation methods, integration methods, and differential equation methods.

2. How do numerical methods differ from analytical methods?

Numerical methods use computational techniques to approximate solutions to mathematical problems, while analytical methods use algebraic and calculus techniques to find exact solutions.

3. What are the advantages of using numerical methods in physics?

Numerical methods allow for solving complex problems that may not have an analytical solution, and they can handle large amounts of data and variables. They also provide a way to check the accuracy of analytical solutions.

4. Can numerical methods be used for both linear and nonlinear problems?

Yes, numerical methods can be applied to both linear and nonlinear problems. However, some methods may be better suited for one type of problem over the other.

5. How do I choose which numerical method to use for a specific problem?

The choice of numerical method depends on the type of problem, the desired accuracy, and the available computing resources. It is important to also consider the limitations and assumptions of each method before selecting one for a particular problem.