Decelerate is often used to indicate that an object is slowing down

• Thread starter TonkaQD4
  • Start date
In summary, the term decelerate is often used to indicate that an object is slowing down. However, it does not necessarily indicate the sign of acceleration. This is because a negative acceleration can still result in an increase in speed, depending on the direction of the velocity. It is better to use the term "deceleration" as an indication of the dot-product of the velocity-vector and acceleration-vector being negative, which ultimately means the speed is decreasing. Therefore, an object with a negative velocity that is decelerating may still be speeding up.
TonkaQD4
The term decelerate is often used to indicate that an object is slowing down. Does this term indicate the sign of the acceleration?

I believe the answer is no, but if someone could clarify why and how I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I dissapprove of the term 'deceleration' since it is often very confusing, it is better to quote and appropriate vector acceleration. And to answer your question it depends how the deceleration is quoted.

Last edited:
So in a way the two terms are dependent of one another,correct? I am still a little confused on how to specifically answer this question that I posted? The term deceleration does not indicate the sign of acceleration, because a negative ( - ) acceleration can be speeding up in a positive direction which implies that the term deceleration can not be used as a negative acceleration. ?

If an object is decelerating, the dirtection of the acceleration is contrary to the direction of the velocity.

It might be best to say that an object decelerates if the dot-product of its velocity-vector with its acceleration-vector is negative. That is,
[tex]\vec a \cdot \vec v < 0[/tex].
Since the left-hand side can be written as
[tex]\frac{d \vec v}{dt} \cdot \vec v =\frac{1}{2}\frac{d (\vec v \cdot \vec v)}{dt} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d (| \vec v|^2)}{dt}[/tex],
then this says (as you say) that the speed is decreasing.

An object with a negative velocity that is decelerating is, in fact, speeding up. So the answer is no, or at least for my intro class it's no :)

Thanks everyone

1. What is the definition of decelerate?

Decelerate is a verb that means to slow down or to decrease the speed of an object.

2. When should I use the word decelerate?

You should use the word decelerate when describing a decrease in speed or velocity of an object. It is often used in physics and engineering contexts.

3. Is decelerate the same as braking?

No, decelerate refers to a general decrease in speed, while braking specifically refers to the use of brakes to slow down a moving object.

4. What are some examples of deceleration?

Examples of deceleration include a car slowing down as it approaches a stop sign, a rocket slowing down as it enters the Earth's atmosphere, and a ball rolling to a stop on a frictionless surface.

5. How is deceleration measured?

Deceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). It is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases over time.