EL Equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of working through the Euler Lagrange equations for the Lagrangian and the modified Lagrangian. It focuses on a specific calculation involving the partial derivative of the modified Lagrangian and the ultimate goal of obtaining the EL equations. An error in the calculation is identified and corrected, leading to the correct result.
Irrational
Hi,

I'm trying to work through something and it should be quite simple but somehow I've gotten a bit confused.

I've worked through the Euler Lagrange equations for the lagrangian:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\mathcal{L}_{0} &= -\frac{1}{4}(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}) \\
&= \frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

getting:

[tex]\Box A_{\nu} - \partial^{\nu}\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu} = 0[/tex]

I'm ok with this.

Then considering the modified lagrangian:

[tex]\mathcal{L}_{\xi} = \mathcal{L}_{0} + \frac{\lambda}{2}(\partial_{\sigma}A^{\sigma})^2[/tex]

I'm trying to work out the EL equation components and as part of one of these calculations, I've to calculate:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})} \left[ \frac{\lambda}{2} (\partial_{\sigma}A^{\sigma})^2 \right]

&= \frac{\lambda}{2} \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})} \left[ ( \partial_{\sigma}A^{\sigma} ) ( \partial_{\rho}A^{\rho} ) \right] \\

&= \frac{\lambda}{2} \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})} \left[ ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} ) ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} \eta^{\rho \beta} ) \right] \\

& = \frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta^{\rho \beta} \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})} \left[ ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} ) ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} ) \right] \\

& = \frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta^{\rho \beta} \left[ ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} ) \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})} ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} ) \right) + \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})} ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} ) \right) ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} ) \right] \\

& = \frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta^{\rho \beta} \left[ ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} ) \delta^{\mu}_{\rho} \delta^{\nu}_{\beta} + \delta^{\mu}_{\sigma} \delta^{\nu}_{\alpha} ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} ) \right] \\

& = \frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta^{\rho \beta} ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} ) \delta^{\mu}_{\rho} \delta^{\nu}_{\beta}
+
\frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta^{\rho \beta} \delta^{\mu}_{\sigma} \delta^{\nu}_{\alpha} ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} ) \\

& = \frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta^{\mu \nu} ( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\alpha} )
+
\frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\mu \nu} \eta^{\rho \beta} ( \partial_{\rho}A_{\beta} ) \\

& = \frac{\lambda}{2} \eta^{\mu \nu} \left[ ( \partial_{\sigma}A^{\sigma} )
+
( \partial_{\rho}A^{\rho} ) \right] \\

& = \lambda \eta^{\mu \nu} ( \partial_{\sigma}A^{\sigma} ) \\

\end{align*}
[/tex]

Now I was hoping to get:

[tex]
\lambda \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}
[/tex]

as ultimately I need the EL equations to give me:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}_{\xi}}{\partial A_{\nu}} - \partial_{\mu} \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}_{\xi}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu})} \right)
&=\Box A^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu} ( \partial_{\mu} A^{\mu} ) - \lambda \partial^{\nu}(\partial_{\mu} A^{\mu}) \\
&= \Box A^{\nu} - ( 1 + \lambda ) \partial^{\nu} ( \partial_{\mu} A^{\mu} ) \\
&= 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Can anyone show me where I've gone wrong? I didn't stick this in the homework section as it's not homework. I'm just trying to work through the through missing steps from the text I'm reading.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edit... now I'm finished stating the question.

Last edited:
Irrational, You've got exactly what you need. :smile: Well, up to a minus sign anyway. You've got λ ημν(∂σAσ). So plug this into the Euler-Lagrange equation:
-∂μ(λ ημν(∂σAσ)) = -λ ∂ν(∂σAσ) = -λ ∂ν(∂μAμ)

you have no idea how thick i feel right now. thanks for filling in the gap.

Related to EL Equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian

1) What is the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian?

The modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It takes into account modifications to the standard Maxwell's equations, such as adding terms for non-linearities or higher-dimensional effects.

2) How are EL equations derived from the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian?

The EL equations, or Euler-Lagrange equations, are derived from the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian through a process called the variational principle. This involves finding the stationary points of the action functional, which is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over space and time.

3) What is the significance of using EL equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian?

The use of EL equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It allows for the inclusion of non-linear effects and higher-dimensional phenomena, which are not accounted for in the standard Maxwell's equations.

4) What types of systems can be described using EL equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian?

EL equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian can be applied to a wide range of systems, including electromagnetic waves, plasmas, and high-energy particle interactions. It is also used in various fields such as quantum field theory, general relativity, and condensed matter physics.

5) Are there any known limitations to using EL equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian?

Like any mathematical model, EL equations for the modified electromagnetic field Lagrangian have some limitations. They are most accurate in describing systems at low energies and weak fields, and may not accurately predict the behavior of strongly interacting systems. Additionally, the inclusion of higher-dimensional effects can make the equations more complex and difficult to solve.