Find the voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit

In summary: V. At the same time, the voltage through the resistor 2, and resistor 1 are 12V and 7.2V respectively.So the voltage across the inductor is 2.4V and the voltage across resistor 2 is 12V. The voltage across resistor 1 is 7.2V.In summary, at t=0, when the switch S is closed, the potential difference across V2 is 0V, the potential difference across Vl is 12V, and the currents i1 and i2 are 0.8A and 0A respectively. After a long time, the potential difference across V2 is 12V, the potential difference
crashdirty86

Homework Statement

at t=0 switch S is closed. Just after the switch is closed what are i1, i2, the potential difference across V2 across resistor 2, and Vl across the inductor? A long time after the switch is closed, what are i1, i2, V2, and Vl?

Emf = 12V, R1= 15 ohms, R2 = 25 ohms, and L = 5.0 H

Now switch S is opened at t'=0. Just after the switch is opened, what are i1, i2, V2, and Vl?

Homework Equations

V=iR
Vl= -Ldi/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So just after t=0 no current passes through the inductor, so the Vl=12V and V2=0V. Using ohms law, the current in Resistor 1 is i=V/R => i1=0.8A

A long time after the switch is closed the inductor now acts like a wire, and R1 & R2 are in paralell, therefore, i1=0.8 A and i2=0.48 A V2= 12V and Vl= 0V.

When the switch is opened at t'=0 R1 & R2 are now in series with the inductor. So i1=i2 => i=V/(R1+R2)= 0.3A. The voltage on the inductor will be 12V to oppose the change in magnetic flux of the circuit. And V2=iR2=7.5V.

So I am pretty positive about the first two parts of this question. It is really the opening of the switch at t'=0 that I am stuck on. Am I right to say that the Voltage through the inductor is 12V?

Attachments

• IMAG1136.jpg
    IMAG1136.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,524
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone want to attempt to help?

Your first two parts look okay.

For the the time when the switch re-opens, you've got a problem. There's no voltage source V in the remaining circuit, so it shouldn't play a role in your calculations. Instead, what do you know about the current through an inductor with regards to sudden changes?

The current will change continuously, so the current through the inductor should be 0.3 A i do believe.

crashdirty86 said:
The current will change continuously, so the current through the inductor should be 0.3 A i do believe.

Nope. Inductors resist a change in current. That's why you wrote that the initial current through the inductor was zero when the switch first closed.

This time, at the instant when the switch opens at t'=0, the current must remain the same as immediately before the switch opened.

gneill said:
Nope. Inductors resist a change in current. That's why you wrote that the initial current through the inductor was zero when the switch first closed.

This time, at the instant when the switch opens at t'=0, the current must remain the same as immediately before the switch opened.

Okay, so after a long time the inductor acts like a wire which I can then find the current acting on resistor 2. Once the switch is opened, then that current through two will be the current through the inductor which I can then use to find its voltage?

crashdirty86 said:
Okay, so after a long time the inductor acts like a wire which I can then find the current acting on resistor 2. Once the switch is opened, then that current through two will be the current through the inductor which I can then use to find its voltage?

Yes, the initial current around the loop will be the same as the inductor current immediately prior to the switch opening. Use KVL around the loop to determine all the voltages.

gneill said:
Yes, the initial current around the loop will be the same as the inductor current immediately prior to the switch opening. Use KVL around the loop to determine all the voltages.

So the current through the inductor when the switch is opened should be 0.48 A. Giving a voltage of 2.4 V on the inductor, 12 V on resistor 2 and 7.2 volts on resistor 1? This seems odd... I feel like I have broken the law of conservation on energy?

crashdirty86 said:
So the current through the inductor when the switch is opened should be 0.48 A.
That's correct for the current throught the inductor.

Giving a voltage of 2.4 V on the inductor, 12 V on resistor 2 and 7.2 volts on resistor 1? This seems odd... I feel like I have broken the law of conservation on energy?

If the current through the inductor is 0.48 A, then what is the current through R1 and R2 ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=58314&d=1367173841.jpg

SammyS said:
That's correct for the current throught the inductor.
If the current through the inductor is 0.48 A, then what is the current through R1 and R2 ?

[ IMG]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58314&d=1367173841[/PLAIN]

Well if the current through the inductor is 0.48 A and the switch is open, then we have a series of elements which means that the current through resistors 1 & 2 would also be 0.48 A.

Last edited by a moderator:
crashdirty86 said:
So the current through the inductor when the switch is opened should be 0.48 A. Giving a voltage of 2.4 V on the inductor, 12 V on resistor 2 and 7.2 volts on resistor 1? This seems odd... I feel like I have broken the law of conservation on energy?

Nope. The circuit is drawing on the energy stored in the inductor's magnetic field. That potential energy was put there while the switch was closed and the current through the inductor built up.

You need to check the polarities of the potential drops that you are summing up; Which way does the current flow through each resistor when the switch opens?

crashdirty86 said:
Well if the current through the inductor is 0.48 A and the switch is open, then we have a series of elements which means that the current through resistors 1 & 2 would also be 0.48 A.
That's correct.

What is the voltage drop across each resistor?

After answering that, What's the voltage across the inductor?

So this is a late response, but I do have the concept down for finding the voltage on the inductor when the switch is opened at t'=0. Since the current inside an inductor must change continuously, then the current flowing through the inductor must be the same as the current flowing through resistor two before the switch was opened for t'=0. This would be the 0.48A. To provide this continuous flow of current the inductor creates a momentary spike in its voltage as the release of energy stored in the magnetic field of the inductor depletes. Therefore, the voltage in the inductor at t'=0 is 19.2V. I found this odd because it seems like the laws of physics were broken, but since the inductor has to change continuously, conservation of charge must be instated and the voltage then spikes. Thanks for everyone's help, it allowed me to score a 98 on my exam.

1. What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is an electrical circuit that contains an inductor (L) and a resistor (R). These components are connected in series and are typically used to control the flow of electrical current.

2. How does an inductor affect the voltage in an LR circuit?

An inductor is a component that stores electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. When current flows through an inductor, the changing magnetic field induces a voltage across the component. This voltage is known as the back EMF (electromotive force) and can affect the overall voltage in an LR circuit.

3. What factors affect the voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit?

The voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit is affected by the value of the inductance (measured in Henries), the current flowing through the circuit, and the rate of change of current. The resistance of the circuit (R) and the frequency of the current can also affect the voltage.

4. How can I calculate the voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit?

The voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit can be calculated using the formula V = L di/dt, where V is the voltage, L is the inductance, di/dt is the rate of change of current. This calculation can be done using a multimeter or by using the known values of the components in the circuit.

5. What is the purpose of finding the voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit?

Knowing the voltage of an inductor in an LR circuit is important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems. It can also help in predicting the flow of current and determining the proper components to use for a specific application.