How Do You Differentiate y=1/(cosh x) Using the Chain Rule?

In summary: It's a bit more work up-front, but it allows for much more flexibility in terms of styling and formatting your posts.
Gondur

Homework Statement

y=1 / (cos h x), find dy/dx

Homework Equations

chain rule and coshx=(e^x+e^-x)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

IdRxUyK.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Resize your image! Way too big.

The most obvious error is ##\frac{dy}{du} = \ln |u|##. Sure that's the derivative, and not the integral?

Other than that, for Chain Rule, it's generally not helpful to substitute variables like this. Not wrong, but it can overcomplicate things.

Curious3141 said:
Resize your image! Way too big.

The most obvious error is ##\frac{dy}{du} = \ln |u|##. Sure that's the derivative, and not the integral?

Other than that, for Chain Rule, it's generally not helpful to substitute variables like this. Not wrong, but it can overcomplicate things.

What an idiot I am. This mistake is proof that I am tired and should get some sleep. Well what other method do you suggest I use, I'd definitely like to know if it's more efficient.

You can resize my image by clicking Ctrl and - on the keyboard. If you have a mouse with a wheel then turn the wheel towards you (downwards) while holding down Ctrl

Start with the definition of cosh(x) in terms of the exponentials and re-write 1/cosh(x). What is dy/dx when y = 1/x or x^-1?

SteamKing said:
Start with the definition of cosh(x) in terms of the exponentials and re-write 1/cosh(x). What is dy/dx when y = 1/x or x^-1?

I've already solved it.

Gondur said:
What an idiot I am. This mistake is proof that I am tired and should get some sleep. Well what other method do you suggest I use, I'd definitely like to know if it's more efficient.

Essentially what you did, but you don't have to spell out every step explicitly.

You're using ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{da}\frac{da}{dx}##, but there's no need to spell out every step.

Are you allowed to assume the derivative of the standard hyperbolic functions, like ##\frac{d}{dx}\cosh x = \sinh x##?

If so, isn't it easier to let ##u = \cosh x## and ##y = \frac{1}{u}##? Again, you shouldn't need to spell it out like this in different variables, this is just for clarity.

You can resize my image by clicking Ctrl and - on the keyboard. If you have a mouse with a wheel then turn the wheel towards you (downwards) while holding down Ctrl

Yes, I know how to resize images - which is how I viewed yours. The problem is that it becomes impossible to view your text (and mine, when I post) in the same sizing. The font becomes too small.

If you're going to post here regularly, you would be much better served by learning basic LaTex.

Likes 1 person

Related to How Do You Differentiate y=1/(cosh x) Using the Chain Rule?

1. What is hyperbolic differentiation?

Hyperbolic differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves taking the derivative of a hyperbolic function. It is similar to traditional differentiation, but with hyperbolic functions such as sinh, cosh, and tanh instead of trigonometric functions like sine and cosine.

2. What is the purpose of hyperbolic differentiation?

The purpose of hyperbolic differentiation is to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a hyperbolic function at a specific point. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems with exponential growth or decay.

3. How is hyperbolic differentiation different from traditional differentiation?

Hyperbolic differentiation uses the hyperbolic functions as the base for finding derivatives, while traditional differentiation uses trigonometric functions. Hyperbolic functions have different properties and rules for differentiation compared to trigonometric functions, making the process slightly different.

4. What are the applications of hyperbolic differentiation?

Hyperbolic differentiation has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model systems with exponential growth or decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and other areas of mathematics and science.

5. Are there any limitations to hyperbolic differentiation?

Yes, there are limitations to hyperbolic differentiation. It is not applicable to all types of functions, and can only be used for hyperbolic functions. Additionally, it may not always provide an accurate representation of a system, as it assumes a constant rate of change and does not account for external factors or other variables.