Vector Calculus proof

In summary, the given identity \vec{\Omega}\cdot\nabla n = \nabla\cdot\vec{\Omega}n is not true in general, and further information about the specific values of \vec{\Omega} and n is required to verify it.
nsiderbam

Homework Statement

Use your knowledge of vector algebra to verify the following identity:

[tex]
\vec{\Omega} \cdot \nabla n = \nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega} n

[/tex]

Homework Equations

Divergence product rule
[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\vec{F} \phi) = \nabla (\phi) \cdot \vec{F} + \phi (\nabla \cdot \vec{F})
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By the product rule,

[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\vec{\Omega} n) = \nabla n \cdot \vec{\Omega} + n (\nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega})
[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]
\vec{\Omega} \cdot \nabla n = \nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega} n = \nabla \cdot (\vec{\Omega} n) = \nabla n \cdot \vec{\Omega} + n (\nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega})
[/tex]

and

[tex]
0 = n (\nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega})
[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's a grouping thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help us if you would explain your notation. What is [itex]\vec{\Omega}[/itex]? Is it a general vector function? And what is n?

edit: Confirmed that omega is an arbitrary vector and n is a scalar.

Sorry about that. I believe omega is a general vector function and n is simply a scalar -- it is not specified but imo the problem statement phrases it as like it is a general identity. This is for a reactor physics course and which features
[tex]
\vec{\Omega}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
n
[/tex]
but in that case n is no trivial function
[tex]
n=f(r,E,\vec{\Omega},t)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\vec{\Omega}
[/tex] is the neutron direction unit vector.

Last edited:
nsiderbam said:

Homework Statement

Use your knowledge of vector algebra to verify the following identity:

[tex]
\vec{\Omega} \cdot \nabla n = \nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega} n

[/tex]

Homework Equations

Divergence product rule
[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\vec{F} \phi) = \nabla (\phi) \cdot \vec{F} + \phi (\nabla \cdot \vec{F})
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By the product rule,

[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\vec{\Omega} n) = \nabla n \cdot \vec{\Omega} + n (\nabla \cdot \vec{\Omega})
[/tex]

That would give your result if ##\nabla\cdot\Omega = 0##. Is there some reason from the physical situation for why that would be true?

[itex]\vec{\Omega}\cdot\nabla n= \nabla\cdot \left(\vec{\Omega}n\right)[/itex]
is certainly NOT true in general.
For example, if [itex]\vec{\Omega}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]n= x^2[/itex] then [itex]\vec{\Omega}n= x^3\vec{i}+ x^2y\vec{j}+ x^2z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\nabla\cdot \left(\vec{\Omega}n\right)= 3x^2+ x^2+ x^2= 4x^2[/itex] while [itex]\vec{\Omega}\cdot\nabla n= (x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k})\cdot(2x\vec{i})= 2x^2[/itex]

1. What is Vector Calculus proof?

Vector Calculus proof is a mathematical technique used to prove theorems and propositions related to vector calculus. It involves using concepts from linear algebra and calculus to manipulate and analyze vector quantities.

2. Why is Vector Calculus proof important?

Vector Calculus proof is important because it allows us to rigorously prove the validity of mathematical statements and make deductions based on them. This is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics and computer graphics.

3. How is Vector Calculus proof different from regular calculus?

Vector Calculus proof is different from regular calculus in that it deals specifically with vector quantities and their properties, such as magnitude and direction. It also involves techniques from linear algebra, such as vector operations and transformations.

4. What are some common techniques used in Vector Calculus proof?

Some common techniques used in Vector Calculus proof include vector algebra, derivatives and integrals of vector functions, and the use of vector identities and theorems, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl.

5. How can one improve their skills in Vector Calculus proof?

One can improve their skills in Vector Calculus proof by practicing solving problems and proofs, studying the fundamental concepts and theorems of vector calculus, and seeking guidance and feedback from experienced mathematicians or professors.