Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about finding a particular solution to a differential equation. The attempt at a solution involves finding the general solution and differentiating it to find the particular solution. The question of whether the particular solution should include an e^x term or an (x^2)e^x term is raised, and the suggestion is made to find the homogenous solution first.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

consider y'' + 2y' - 3y = 1 + xe^x, find the particular solution

The Attempt at a Solution

so
f(x) = 1 + xe^x
f'(x) =e^x + xe^x
f''(x) = 2e^x + xe^x

so it looks like my particular solution is going to have a constant term, an e^x term and an xe^x term,
so I can write

Particular Solution:
y(x) = A + Be^x + Cxe^x

and then differentiate this twice and plug into the original equation? Is this on the correct track? I ask because an online source says that I should have
y(x) = A + Bxe^x + C(x^2)e^x

can someone help me understand why I am wrong if I am wrong? Why have an (x^2)e^x but no e^x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PsychonautQQ,
You know the general solution to your equation is the sum of the solution to the homogenous problem and a particular solution to the non-homogenous problem.

I would suggest first finding the homogenous solution and perhaps then your question will be resolved.

What is the Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a technique used to solve certain types of non-homogeneous differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by assuming a form for the solution and then solving for the unknown coefficients.

When is the Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients used?

This method is used when the non-homogeneous differential equation can be expressed as a linear combination of functions that are known to be solutions of the corresponding homogeneous equation. It is also used when the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, or other special function.

How does the Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients work?

The method involves assuming a form for the particular solution, plugging it into the original differential equation, and solving for the unknown coefficients. These coefficients are then substituted back into the assumed form to get the final particular solution.

What is the difference between the Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients and the Method of Variation of Parameters?

The main difference is that the Method of Variation of Parameters can be used for any type of non-homogeneous differential equation, while the Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients is limited to certain types of non-homogeneous equations. Additionally, the Method of Variation of Parameters involves integrating factors, while the Method of Undetermined Coefficients does not.

What are some common challenges when using the Differential Equations Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

One challenge is finding the correct form for the particular solution. This can involve trial and error and can be time-consuming. Another challenge is when the non-homogeneous term is not a polynomial or special function, making it difficult to find a suitable form for the particular solution. Additionally, the method may not work for some non-homogeneous equations, in which case another method must be used.