How can the limit of a derivative fraction be proven for non-zero values?

In summary, the attempt at a solution involves writing out the given limits in terms of epsilon-functions and using the definition of a limit to show that the fraction f(z)/g(z) also tends to the given limits. This is done by manipulating the expression and choosing an appropriate value for delta, making use of the derivatives of f(z) and g(z).
daudaudaudau

Homework Statement

If [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}f(z)=A[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}g(z)=B[/tex] then prove that [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}=\frac{A}{B}[/tex] for [tex]B\neq0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I write [tex]f(z)=A+\epsilon_1(z)[/tex] and [tex]g(z)=B+\epsilon_2(z)[/tex], where the epsilon-functions tend to zero as z tends to z_0. I now write

[tex]
\left|\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}-\frac{A}{B}\right|=\left|\frac{A+\epsilon_1(z)}{B+\epsilon_2(z)}-\frac{A}{B}\right|=\left|\frac{AB+B\epsilon_1(z)-AB-A\epsilon_2(z)}{B^2+B\epsilon_2(z)}\right|\le\frac{|B\epsilon_1(z)|+|A\epsilon_2(z)|}{|B^2+B\epsilon_2(z)|}
[/tex]
And since the above can be made arbitrarily small by letting z tend to z_0, I am done, or what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are not done. Given a positive number [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you have to demonstrate the existence of a positive number [itex]\delta[/itex] such that |x - x0| < [itex]\delta[/itex] implies that |f(x)/g(x) - A/B| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Looks good to me. Check that [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} f(z) = A[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]f(z) = A+\epsilon_1 (z)[/tex] where the epsilon-function goes to zero as [tex]z\rightarrow z_0[/tex], then you are in fact done.

Mark44:

I have [tex]\epsilon_1(z)=f'(\xi)(z-z_0)[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_2(z)=g'(\zeta)(z-z_0)[/tex] so

[tex]
\frac {|B\epsilon_1(z)|+|A\epsilon_2(z)|}{|B^2+B\epsilon _2(z)|}=\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|z-z_0|}{|B^2+Bg'(\zeta)(z-z_0)|}.
[/tex]

Now if [tex]\delta=\frac{1}{k|g'(\zeta)|}[/tex] and [tex]|z-z_0|<\delta[/tex] and k>1 I get

[tex]
\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|z-z_0|}{|B^2+Bg'(\zeta)(z-z_0)|}\le \frac{1}{k}\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|g'(\zeta)|}{|B|^2-\frac{|B|}{k}}\le\frac{1}{k}C
[/tex]

where
[tex]
C=\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|g'(\zeta)|}{|B|^2-|B|}
[/tex]

1. What is a derivative fraction proof?

A derivative fraction proof is a mathematical process used to find the derivative of a fraction, which represents the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another. It shows how the value of the fraction changes as the independent variable changes.

2. Why is it important to understand derivative fraction proofs?

Understanding derivative fraction proofs is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the general formula for finding the derivative of a fraction?

The general formula for finding the derivative of a fraction is (numerator derivative x denominator) - (numerator x denominator derivative) / (denominator)^2. This follows the quotient rule of differentiation.

4. How do you apply the chain rule when finding the derivative of a fraction?

In order to apply the chain rule when finding the derivative of a fraction, you must first rewrite the fraction as a product of two functions. Then, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative of each function separately and combine them using the product rule.

5. Can you provide an example of a derivative fraction proof?

One example of a derivative fraction proof is finding the derivative of f(x) = x^2 / (x + 1). Using the quotient rule, we get f'(x) = [(2x)(x + 1) - (x^2)(1)] / (x + 1)^2 = (x^2 + 2x) / (x + 1)^2. This shows that the rate of change of f(x) is (x^2 + 2x) / (x + 1)^2, which can be simplified to (x)(x + 2) / (x + 1)^2.