Proving determinant property for arbitrary matrices

• Thread starter Snowdeity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the statement "If A is a product of elementary matrices, show that det(adj(A))=(det(A))^(n-1)" and how to do it without assuming that A is a product of elementary matrices. The conversation also brings up the use of equivalent theorems for invertible matrices and how to set up the proof by considering A as an arbitrary matrix.
Snowdeity

Homework Statement

1) If A is a product of elementary matrices, show that det(adj(A))=(det(A))^(n-1)
2) Prove the above statement without the assumption on A

Homework Equations

Hmm... Know A*adj(A)=det(A)*In (i.e. the n by n identity matrix)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the assumption implies the use of the equivalent theorems for invertible matrices...not sure how to set this up though. Have to show A as a n by n matrix in order to thoroughly prove it, but seems to get complicated quickly if trying to evaluate the adj(A)...
Anyone clue me in on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
2) Prove the above statement without the assumption on AWell, I guess in this case we should consider A as an arbitrary matrix (not necessarily a product of elementary matrices). So far I have started with A*adj(A)=det(A)*In. But not sure where to go from here...

1. What is a proof and why do we need it?

A proof is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem. It is used to demonstrate that a statement is true and can be applied to various situations. Proofs are essential in science as they provide evidence and support for theories and hypotheses.

2. How do I approach constructing a proof?

First, clearly state the statement or theorem that you are trying to prove. Then, carefully analyze the given information and any known facts or definitions related to the statement. Use logical reasoning and mathematical principles to connect the given information with the statement, providing step-by-step explanations. End by summarizing your proof and showing how it aligns with the original statement.

3. What are the key components of a proof?

A proof typically consists of a statement or theorem, given information, logical reasoning, and a conclusion. It should also include any relevant definitions or theorems used in the proof, as well as any assumptions or restrictions. Visual aids, such as diagrams or equations, may also be included to help clarify the proof.

4. How do I know if my proof is correct?

A correct proof should clearly and logically demonstrate the validity of the statement or theorem. It should also follow the rules of mathematics and use sound reasoning. It is important to double-check your work for any errors or gaps in logic. Seeking feedback from peers or a mentor can also help ensure the accuracy of your proof.

5. Are there different types of proofs?

Yes, there are various types of proofs, such as direct proofs, indirect proofs, proofs by contradiction, and proofs by mathematical induction. Each type may be more suitable for different types of statements or theorems. It is important to understand the different types of proofs and when to use them in order to effectively construct a proof.