Chemistry Major: Am I on track for Physical Chem?

In summary: Assuming you are the statistically average student, this sounds like a bad idea. Physical chemistry professors do not usually assume as much familiarity and comfort with calculus as is generally expected of an upper division physics course but it will be assumed you have at least taken calculus and probably differential equations.
antrl
So I am a Chemistry major, but am behind on my math (was a Biology major but switched because I decided I would rather minor in Biology so as to avoid the boring plant and evolution/ecology stuff, plus I love Chemistry lol) and so am only taking calculus II this coming semester. My adviser wants me to take P-Chem II before P-Chem I so I can graduate on time and as far as the math goes, I will have to take Calc III concurrently with pchem II. The question is will I be okay for pchem?
If not what should I study so that I am? Also, I have been studying Calc (up to integration by parts, not very far, I know, but I work two jobs so finding the time is very difficult) and a little bit of Linear Algebra. Right now my battle plan is to keep on studying Linear Algebra this semester and then study differential equations during the winter and through the spring semester. Is this a good plan? If not then how, if possible, can I improve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you are the statistically average student, this sounds like a bad idea. Physical chemistry professors do not usually assume as much familiarity and comfort with calculus as is generally expected of an upper division physics course but it will be assumed you have at least taken calculus and probably differential equations.

Is p-chem II quantum or thermodynamics? If it is thermodynamics it will probably be doable as thermodynamics 'mainly' requires total differentials, partial differentiation and basic integration.

If you want to do physical chemistry, calculus and physical chemistry are a core part of your undergraduate education. It won't do you many favors in the long run rushing through them.

Could you post a syllabus?

Calc 3 is mostly multivariable and vector calculus. You'll probably need some multivariable calculus to do thermodynamics. Knowing integration rules and some linear algebra (basically eigenvalue problems and matrix arithmetic) is necessary for quantum mechanics.

If you are going to be doing linear algebra and diffEQ RIGHT NOW and then do physical chemistry next year, it is doable. There's little vector calculus in physical chemistry, just multivariable calculus.

Also depends on the book you use. Some books (Atkins) are easier than others (McQuarrie and Levine).

Jorriss said:
Assuming you are the statistically average student, this sounds like a bad idea. Physical chemistry professors do not usually assume as much familiarity and comfort with calculus as is generally expected of an upper division physics course but it will be assumed you have at least taken calculus and probably differential equations.

Is p-chem II quantum or thermodynamics? If it is thermodynamics it will probably be doable as thermodynamics 'mainly' requires total differentials, partial differentiation and basic integration.

If you want to do physical chemistry, calculus and physical chemistry are a core part of your undergraduate education. It won't do you many favors in the long run rushing through them.

Could you post a syllabus?

This is what I could find online as I am not taking the course right now and my school does not give us any syllabi and/or other info ,except for the books we need to buy, until literally the last minute this is all I can do. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• PChem.doc
    45 KB · Views: 307
antrl said:
This is what I could find online as I am not taking the course right now and my school does not give us any syllabi and/or other info ,except for the books we need to buy, until literally the last minute this is all I can do. Thanks for the help
Well there's a place to start, how comfortable are you with the following?

(1) work with operators, vectors and wavefunctions; (2) perform integration in various coordinate systems; (3) identify symmetry elements and point groups of molecules.

1. What courses should I take as a Chemistry major to prepare for Physical Chemistry?

As a Chemistry major, it is important to take a variety of courses in the fields of General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry to build a strong foundation. In addition, courses in Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics, and Statistical Mechanics are essential for understanding Physical Chemistry.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to excel in Physical Chemistry?

Yes, a strong foundation in math, particularly in Calculus and Differential Equations, is necessary for understanding the complex mathematical concepts in Physical Chemistry. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of Linear Algebra.

3. Is research experience important for a Physical Chemistry track?

Research experience is highly recommended for students on a Physical Chemistry track. It not only provides hands-on experience in conducting experiments, but also allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts learned in class. Research experience also looks impressive on graduate school applications.

4. What skills do I need to have to succeed in Physical Chemistry?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills are crucial for success in Physical Chemistry. As a Chemistry major, it is also important to have a good understanding of laboratory techniques and safety protocols. Time management and organization are also important skills to have, as Physical Chemistry courses are often demanding and require a lot of practice and studying.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in Physical Chemistry?

A degree in Physical Chemistry opens up a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government, and industry. Graduates can also pursue careers in fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science. Many also go on to pursue advanced degrees in Physical Chemistry or related fields.