Computer Engineering versus Electrical Engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision of which major to choose for university, specifically between computer engineering and electrical engineering. The individual is interested in both designing chips for various technologies and communications, and is considering schools such as Cal Poly SLO, UCLA, and UCSD. It is suggested to pick one major and potentially switch later on, as both degrees cover similar topics and can be switched within the first year or two without affecting graduation time."
drailing
I am currently at the point where I am deciding what major to apply for for university and have narrowed my choices down to these two majors. However, I am torn on which one to choose.

I am interested both in the design of chips for computers, missiles, etc. but also in some of the communications stuff (I've enjoyed reading about stuff like the Viterbi algorithm). Would computer engineering contain these sorts of topics or is that mainly electrical engineering? The main schools I am looking at are Cal Poly SLO, UCLA and UCSD (do not believe Berkeley has a computer engineering major, it's all lumped into electrical).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll find that EE and CE both work in the design of all of those fields, though they work on different parts. Your best bet is to pick one (or both), and make another decision after your first year or two of engineering. The degrees are similar enough that you should still graduate on time if you made a switch a year or two in.

Question 1: What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of computer hardware and software systems. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While both fields involve the use of technology and may overlap in some areas, they have distinct focuses and applications.

Question 2: Can computer engineers work in the same industries as electrical engineers?

Yes, computer engineers and electrical engineers can work in similar industries, such as telecommunications, manufacturing, and power generation. However, their specific roles and responsibilities may differ. For example, a computer engineer may be responsible for designing and developing computer systems, while an electrical engineer may work on the design and maintenance of power systems.

Question 3: Which field has better job prospects, computer engineering or electrical engineering?

Both computer engineering and electrical engineering have strong job prospects and are in high demand. It ultimately depends on the industry and the specific skills and experience of the individual. However, with the increasing reliance on technology in all industries, both fields are expected to continue to have a high demand for skilled professionals.

Question 4: Can someone with a degree in computer engineering work as an electrical engineer?

While both fields involve the use of technology and may have some overlapping concepts, their focus and application are different. Someone with a degree in computer engineering may not have the necessary knowledge and skills to work as an electrical engineer without further education or training. However, they may be able to work in roles that involve both computer and electrical engineering concepts.

Question 5: What skills are required to become a successful computer engineer or electrical engineer?

To be successful in either computer engineering or electrical engineering, strong mathematical and problem-solving skills are essential. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and experience with computer hardware and software is necessary for computer engineers, while electrical engineers need a strong understanding of circuit design and electricity. Good communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also important skills for both fields.