Computer Engineering or CS at UCSD: AI Focus Worth Waiting?

• Thread starter Fancypen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai
In summary, both CS and computer engineering have their pros and cons, but ultimately it comes down to what you want to do with your degree. If you are interested in the application of AI and algorithms, then CS would be the better option. If you are just looking to learn more about computers and how they work, then computer engineering would be a better option.
Fancypen
I am going to UCSD soon and I can't decide to focus on CS or computer engineering. The latter, requires 2 more physics classes, E&M/Waves&Optics and differential equations, where CS requires Mechanics/Chem200 and no differential equations. I've already taken Chem200 and currently in Mechanics now.

So, I could transfer a year earlier if I just went with CS.

I am interested in the application of AI and algorithms. Would it be worth waiting another year for the computer engineering degree?

Both are impacted majors, so I plan to transfer as a Math/CS major (through the math department), then apply for both programs after doing the required quarter of CSE classes.

Thanks in advance,

FP

Physics news on Phys.org
Fancypen said:
I am interested in the application of AI and algorithms
AI is a multidisciplinary field that is studied in both CE and CS. Algorithms, on the other hand, are the heart of computer science.

No need to spend another year, if you already know what you want. From what I read on another popular forum: people who do computer engineering learn about components of the computers, they usually are employed for firms that produce these and related. So that is the main difference in the job profile you are going for. Actually the person was in Australia and complained as there was no real computer production industry there so he had difficulty finding a job, his words.

Okay, thanks for the replies. It does seem like CS would be the better option.

Thanks!

Pick up plenty of statistics, too. An awful lot of modern AI is built around machine learning, which is statistical in nature.

There are a lot of ways you can do that, AI is a really broad field. I would suggest going for either statistics/data science, cognitive science, or electrical engineering with a focus on controls or DSP, and a CS minor.

1. What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science at UCSD?

Computer Engineering focuses more on the hardware and physical components of computers, while Computer Science focuses on the software and programming aspects. However, both programs have overlapping courses and students can choose to specialize in areas of interest within either field.

2. Why would someone choose to focus on AI within the Computer Engineering or Computer Science program at UCSD?

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a rapidly growing field that has a wide range of applications in various industries. By specializing in AI, students can gain valuable skills and knowledge that are in high demand in the job market.

3. How is UCSD's AI program different from other universities?

UCSD has a strong focus on interdisciplinary collaboration, which is beneficial for AI research as it requires knowledge from various fields such as computer science, engineering, and psychology. Additionally, UCSD has world-renowned faculty and top-notch facilities for AI research.

4. Is it worth waiting to focus on AI within the Computer Engineering or Computer Science program at UCSD?

It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. If AI is a field that interests you and aligns with your career aspirations, then it is definitely worth waiting for. However, if you are more interested in other areas within computer engineering or computer science, it may not be necessary to wait and you can still gain AI knowledge through elective courses.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who specialize in AI at UCSD?

There are numerous career opportunities for those who specialize in AI at UCSD. Some potential job titles include AI engineer, data scientist, machine learning engineer, and AI researcher. AI is a rapidly growing field with a high demand for skilled professionals, so job prospects are promising.