Troubleshooting Rearranging Equations: How to Solve for v in a Complex Equation

• Thread starter eric99gt
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is struggling with rearranging an equation to solve for v. The equation provided is P=[RT/(v-b)]-[a/v(v+b)T^0.5] and the individual has been unable to solve it despite trying for an hour. They are unsure if they have made a mistake and are seeking clarification or assistance.
eric99gt
Alright I'm going absolutely nuts here. It's a simple matter of rearranging an equation and for the life of me I can't do it. I've been working at it for like an hour now to no avail. Here's the equation.

P=[RT/(v-b)]-[a/v(v+b)T^0.5]

I'm trying to solve for v. I've manipulated this equation every way I can think of and still can't get it. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm stuck. Please help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you put either put redundant parenthesis around everything or put the equation in LaTeX format (tutorial is in the general physics stickies)?

eric99gt said:
P=[RT/(v-b)]-[a/v(v+b)T^0.5]
As enigma suggests, there is quite a bit of ambiguity in how you wrote your equation. Here are a few of the possible ways we could interpret what you wrote.

The first part of your equation could be R[T/(v-b)] or (RT)/(v-b)
The second part could be
[(a/v)(v+b)(T^.5)] or
{[a/(v(v+b))](T^0.5)} or
{(a/[v(v+b)(T^0.5)]}

Can you clarify?

Your question appears the same as the one you posted on engineering homework: query.
Did you mean to post it as a math question or engineering?

Last edited:

1. How do I rearrange equations?

Rearranging equations involves manipulating the mathematical expressions on both sides of the equal sign to isolate the desired variable. This can be done by using basic algebra rules, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why is rearranging equations important?

Rearranging equations is important because it allows us to solve for a specific variable in an equation. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where we often need to find the relationship between different variables.

3. Can I rearrange any equation?

In most cases, yes, you can rearrange any equation. However, there are some equations that cannot be rearranged, such as trigonometric equations or equations with multiple variables and exponents. It is important to check the rules and restrictions of the specific type of equation before attempting to rearrange it.

4. What are some tips for rearranging equations?

Some helpful tips for rearranging equations include starting with the term containing the desired variable, simplifying fractions and exponents, and always performing the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

5. How can I check if I rearranged an equation correctly?

You can check if you rearranged an equation correctly by substituting the value you found for the desired variable back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your rearrangement is correct. You can also use a calculator to solve the original and rearranged equations and compare the results.