Solving Variable Change: Difficulties Understanding ##V(x)## & ##y##

These errors are why I think you should start a new thread for this topic. I'll leave it up to the moderators to decide if this discussion should be split off.
Moolisa
Summary: When ##V (x) = \frac 1 2 mω^2x^2 + mgx##
##H=\frac p 2m +V(x)##
Difficulty understanding how these change on variables came about
##y = x+\frac mg mω^2 = x+\frac g ω^2##

Apologies if this is not the appropriate thread. I chose this one because even though it's physics, I'm having issues with what seems to be basic math principles
changin.png

##V (x) = \frac 1 2 mω^2x^2 + mgx##

##y = x+\frac{mg} {mω^2} = x+\frac g ω^2##

So that

##H=\frac p {2m} +\frac 1 2 mω^2y^2 - \frac {mg^2} {2ω^2}##

I don't understand how the variables changed

By the way the solution looks like, I tried

##0= \frac 1 2 mω^2x^2 + mgx##
Rearranged so ##x=-\frac {2mg^2} {mω^2}##

But that is obviously not how to do it

Any help is appreciated, If you can, please tell me what this technique/concept this is, so I can read up on it. I looked up changing variables online but can only find the one for integrations, which I don't think is what this is

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Physics news on Phys.org
Moolisa said:
I don't understand how the variables changed
I think the point of the change of variables is to get rid of the ##mgx## term in the Hamiltonian by completing the square. Note that there is no linear ##y## term in the resulting Hamiltonian. As to how to do the change of variables, try this:
1) Solve ##y = x+\frac{mg} {mω^2} = x+\frac g ω^2## for ##x##.
2) Note that adding a constant to ##x## does not change ##p##.
3) Substitute the resulting expression into ##H=\frac {p^2} {2m} +\frac 1 2 mω^2x^2 + mgx##
4) Collect terms.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK, Delta2 and Moolisa
Moolisa said:
Summary: When ##V (x) = \frac 1 2 mω^2x^2 + mgx##
##H=\frac p 2m +V(x)##
Difficulty understanding how these change on variables came about
##y = x+\frac mg mω^2 = x+\frac g ω^2##

Apologies if this is not the appropriate thread. I chose this one because even though it's physics, I'm having issues with what seems to be basic math principles.
Yes, the questions in this thread deal mainly with algebra. However, you do have some typos in your expressions. It looks like most of those result from errors in using LaTeX. Fixing some of these requires knowledge which falls outside the scope of basic algebra. Dimensional Analysis is useful in correcting these. The Second equation, the one for the Hamiltonian, is missing an exponent on ##p##, the momentum. This and many other of your LaTeX coded expressions, fractions in particular, have what look to be errors due to lack of the LaTeX grouping symbols, " { " and " } " . Other expressions toward the bottom of the OP have similar fractions coded correctly .

Your LaTeX code for that initial Hamiltonian expression is, ##H=\frac p 2m +V(x)## .
It should be ##H=\frac {p^2} {2m} +V(x)## , which is rendered as: ## H=\frac {p^2} {2m} +V(x)## .

Similarly, ##y = x+\frac mg mω^2 = x+\frac g ω^2## should be ##y = x+\frac {mg} {mω^2} = x+\frac g {ω^2}##

Likes Moolisa

What is variable change in solving mathematical equations?

Variable change is a technique used in mathematics to simplify or transform an equation by replacing existing variables with new ones. This can make the equation easier to solve or understand.

Why is it difficult to understand the concept of V(x) and y in variable change?

The concept of V(x) and y in variable change can be difficult to understand because it involves manipulating and transforming variables, which may not be familiar to some people. Additionally, it may require a good understanding of algebra and mathematical concepts.

What are some common difficulties people face when using variable change?

Some common difficulties people face when using variable change include choosing appropriate new variables, correctly applying the transformation rules, and understanding the impact of the variable change on the equation and its solutions.

How can I improve my understanding of variable change?

One way to improve your understanding of variable change is to practice solving equations using this technique. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher to clarify any confusion and provide additional examples. Additionally, studying and practicing algebra and other mathematical concepts can also aid in understanding variable change.

When should I use variable change in solving equations?

Variable change should be used when an equation is difficult to solve or understand in its current form. It can also be used to simplify equations or make them more visually appealing. However, it is important to consider whether the effort and time required for variable change will result in a significant improvement in understanding or solving the equation.