Finding a basis for a subspace of P_2

In summary, to find a basis for the set W = {p(x) in P2 : p(2)=0}, we can start by setting p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c and p(2) = 0. This leads to the equation 4a + 2b + c = 0, which can be rewritten as 4a + 2b = -c. Letting c = t and b = s, we can write p(x) as t(-x^2/4 + 1) + s(-x^2/2 + x). Therefore, a basis for W is {(-x^2/4 + 1),
Geekster
Let [tex] W=\lbrace p(x) \in P_{2} : p(2)=0\rbrace [/tex]

Find a basis for W.

Since a basis must be elements of the set W we know that p(2)=0.

So if [tex]p(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex], then [tex]p(x) = 4a+2b+c=0[/tex].

Let c=t, b=s and s,t are real scalars. Then p(x) can be written as
[tex]
t(-\frac{1}{4} x^2+1)+s(-\frac{1}{2}x^2+x)
[/tex]

so the basis would be [tex]\{ (-\frac{1}{4} x^2+1), (-\frac{1}{2}x^2+x)\rbrace [/tex].

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One problem is the line:

p(x) = 4a + 2b + c = 0

It should say:

p(2) = 4a + 2b + c = 0

The final answer is correct, however it isn't clear as to how you got it. How do you go from the line above to saying that p(x) can be written:

t(-x²/4 + 1) + s(-x²/2 + x)?

Also, why bother changing c to t and b to s? You haven't proven that the set you've chosen consists of elements of W, spans W, and is linearly independent. Of course, it is all of those things, but you haven't proved it.

There's a simpler solution: you know that W is not all of P2 (since there are polynomials with 2 not being a root), so since P2 has dimension 3, you know that W has dimension 2 or less. If you can find 2 linearly independent elements of W, then you're done, since you know that these two will span all of W. And it should be obvious that if you can find a linear element of W and a quadratic element of W, then these two will be linearly independent. The obvious choice for the quadratic element is the (x-2)², and the obvious choice for the linear element is x-2.

Geekster said:
Let [tex] W=\lbrace p(x) \in P_{2} : p(2)=0\rbrace [/tex]

Find a basis for W.

Since a basis must be elements of the set W we know that p(2)=0.

So if [tex]p(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex], then [tex]p(x) = 4a+2b+c=0[/tex].

Let c=t, b=s and s,t are real scalars. Then p(x) can be written as
[tex]
t(-\frac{1}{4} x^2+1)+s(-\frac{1}{2}x^2+x)
[/tex]

so the basis would be [tex]\{ (-\frac{1}{4} x^2+1), (-\frac{1}{2}x^2+x)\rbrace [/tex].

Does anyone see a problem with this?
You should at least say that, since 4a+ 2b+ c= 0, a= -(1/2)b- (1/4)c.
Actually, since I am so bad with fractions, I think I would have solved for c: c= -4a- 2b so any such polynomial can be written as
ax2+ bx- 4a- 2b. Taking a= 1, b= 0, gives x2- 4.
Taking a= 0, b= 1, gives x- 2. Having already said that "any such polynomial can be written as ax2+ bx- 4a- 2b" it is immediate that that {x2- 4, x- 2} spans this space. That fact that one contains x2 and the other doesn't makes it clear that they are independent.

Your result is correct but, as AKG said, you need to explain your steps in more detail.

AKG said:
One problem is the line:

p(x) = 4a + 2b + c = 0

It should say:

p(2) = 4a + 2b + c = 0

That's what I meant...sry.

The final answer is correct, however it isn't clear as to how you got it. How do you go from the line above to saying that p(x) can be written:

t(-x²/4 + 1) + s(-x²/2 + x)?

I could have written it out, but I figured that once I stated the parameters and their domain that this was the obvious next step.

Also, why bother changing c to t and b to s? You haven't proven that the set you've chosen consists of elements of W, spans W, and is linearly independent. Of course, it is all of those things, but you haven't proved it.

True...I didn't add those things. The linear independence is clear because neither one can be written as a scalar multiple of the other one. I should have stated that as well. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, but that should be sufficient to imply the set spans W. The theorem in my text basically says that if a set S of dimension n is a linearly independent set of vectors in V, then S is a basis for V...So I guess I needed to show that the dimension of W is 2, then I could show that my basis vectors are linearly independent.

How could I show that the dimension of W is 2 unless I know a set that spans W has two vectors?

Let me read on...

There's a simpler solution: you know that W is not all of P2 (since there are polynomials with 2 not being a root), so since P2 has dimension 3, you know that W has dimension 2 or less. If you can find 2 linearly independent elements of W, then you're done, since you know that these two will span all of W. And it should be obvious that if you can find a linear element of W and a quadratic element of W, then these two will be linearly independent. The obvious choice for the quadratic element is the (x-2)², and the obvious choice for the linear element is x-2.

You’re very clever….I would never have thought of that.

HallsofIvy said:
Your result is correct but, as AKG said, you need to explain your steps in more detail.

Point taken...I'm sure I'll take a good hit on the points for the lack of overall detail. Although I did offer more detail on the paper that I turned in than what I gave here.

Thanks for showing me an alternative solution...I have a test comming up in the next week or so...I think I'm going to :cry:

1. What is a subspace of P_2?

A subspace of P_2 refers to a subset of the vector space P_2 that satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and the presence of a zero vector. In simpler terms, it is a smaller space within the larger space of polynomial functions of degree 2 or less.

2. Why is it important to find a basis for a subspace of P_2?

Finding a basis for a subspace of P_2 is important because it allows us to represent any vector in that subspace as a linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform computations and solve problems involving the subspace.

3. How do you find a basis for a subspace of P_2?

To find a basis for a subspace of P_2, we can use the method of reduction to row echelon form on the matrix formed by the coefficients of the polynomial functions in the subspace. The nonzero rows of the resulting matrix will form the basis vectors for the subspace.

4. Can there be more than one basis for a subspace of P_2?

Yes, there can be more than one basis for a subspace of P_2. This is because any set of linearly independent vectors in the subspace can serve as a basis, and there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace.

5. How does finding a basis for a subspace of P_2 relate to linear independence and span?

Finding a basis for a subspace of P_2 is closely related to the concepts of linear independence and span. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace, meaning that they can be used to represent any vector in the subspace. In other words, a basis is the smallest set of vectors needed to span the subspace, and they must be linearly independent in order for them to be a basis.