Find a basis for W which is subset of V

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, In Steve's opinion, he can prove that W is a subspace of V. He would like to ask about the basis of W.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Span
Linear Independent
1681474137895.png

I think I can prove W is a subspace of V. I want to ask about basis of W.

Let $$V = a_1+a_2 \sin t+a_3 \cos t +a_4 \sin (2t)+a_5 \cos (2t)$$
$$W = p(t) = q"(t) + q(t)$$
$$=-a_2 \sin t-a_3 \cos t-4a_4 \sin (2t)-4a_5 \cos(2t)+a_1+a_2 \sin t+a_3 \cos t +a_4 \sin (2t)+a_5 \cos (2t)$$
$$=a_1-3a_4 \sin (2t) -3a_5 \cos (2t)$$
Since all elements in W are linearly independent, the basis for W is {1, sin (2t), cos (2t)}

Am I correct? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. If [itex]B[/itex] is a basis for [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]L : V \to \dots[/itex] is a linear map, then [itex]L(B)[/itex] spans [itex]L(V)[/itex]. If the non-zero elements of [itex]L(B)[/itex] are linearly independent then they will be a basis for [itex]L(V)[/itex].

Likes songoku
Thank you very much pasmith

songoku said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Span
Linear Independent

View attachment 324875

I think I can prove W is a subspace of V. I want to ask about basis of W.

Let $$V = a_1+a_2 \sin t+a_3 \cos t +a_4 \sin (2t)+a_5 \cos (2t)$$
$$W = p(t) = q"(t) + q(t)$$
$$=-a_2 \sin t-a_3 \cos t-4a_4 \sin (2t)-4a_5 \cos(2t)+a_1+a_2 \sin t+a_3 \cos t +a_4 \sin (2t)+a_5 \cos (2t)$$
$$=a_1-3a_4 \sin (2t) -3a_5 \cos (2t)$$
Since all elements in W are linearly independent, the basis for W is {1, sin (2t), cos (2t)}

Am I correct? Thanks
Your underlying method is correct but perhaps your proof could be improved.

Your equation
##V = a_1+a_2 \sin t+a_3 \cos t +a_4 \sin (2t)+a_5 \cos (2t)##
looks like you have the space ##V## on the left side and a single vector on the right side. You can’t equate these two different things.

A similar comment applies to ##W = p(t) = q"(t) + q(t)##.

A better way to start might be to say:
Since ##q(t) \in V## we can express ##q(t)## most generally as:
##q(t) = a_1+a_2 \sin t+a_3 \cos t +a_4 \sin (2t)+a_5 \cos (2t)##
And take it from there.

Likes songoku
Ah ok, thank you very much Steve4Physics

1. What is a basis for a subset of a vector space?

A basis for a subset of a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subset. This means that any vector in the subset can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a subset of a vector space?

To find a basis for a subset of a vector space, you can use the following steps:1. Choose a set of vectors from the subset.2. Test if the chosen vectors are linearly independent.3. If the chosen vectors are linearly independent, then they form a basis for the subset. If not, add more vectors from the subset until you have a set of linearly independent vectors.

3. Can a subset of a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a subset of a vector space can have more than one basis. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the subset. However, all bases for the subset will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the subset.

4. What is the difference between a basis for a subset and a basis for the entire vector space?

A basis for a subset is a set of vectors that span only that particular subset, while a basis for the entire vector space is a set of vectors that span the entire vector space. A basis for the entire vector space will always have a greater number of vectors than a basis for a subset.

5. Can a basis for a subset of a vector space contain vectors from the original vector space?

Yes, a basis for a subset of a vector space can contain vectors from the original vector space. This is because a subset is a smaller part of the original vector space, so it is possible for some of the basis vectors to also be in the original vector space.