What is THE HARDEST topic in mathematics

In summary: I've never even touched Riemannian geometry; I can't imagine. Precession is tough enough (as far as book-keeping goes, anyway).Abstract Algebra has always given me trouble. The more abstract the mathematics, the harder it is for me to get.
saminator910
In your opinion, what is the hardest topic in math? I don't really know many high high levels of math, maybe differential topology, or K theory, idk, what is it in your opinion? Oh, and don't say "some people think Calculus is hard" or other stuff like that, think of a high level math topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
the one you don't know yet.

Oh, and don't say "some people think Calculus is hard" or other stuff like that

Why not? It's the only reasonable answer.

You guys did exactly what I didn't want you to do, just pick a topic in your opinion that you think is the hardest topic in math, I realize that "The one I don't know" will be difficult for me, but what was difficult for YOU.

saminator910 said:
You guys did exactly what I didn't want you to do, just pick a topic in your opinion that you think is the hardest topic in math, I realize that "The one I don't know" will be difficult for me, but what was difficult for YOU.

Every topic is hard once you learn enough about it. If we can't give you an easy and straightforward answer, then that is because an easy and straightforward answer does not exist.

saminator910 said:

You don't get to choose the answers you get. *WE* choose.

I don't know about hardest, but Abstract Algebra has always given me trouble. The more abstract the mathematics, the harder it is for me to get.

My applied analysis (fourier/laplace transforms of differential equations) teacher had a B.S. in physics and had a teaching style that always referenced some intuitive physical system. Made it a lot easier for me to understand the mathematics.

Pythagorean said:
I don't know about hardest, but Abstract Algebra has always given me trouble. The more abstract the mathematics, the harder it is for me to get.

My applied analysis (fourier/laplace transforms of differential equations) teacher had a B.S. in physics and had a teaching style that always referenced some intuitive physical system. Made it a lot easier for me to understand the mathematics.

That quote suggests another topic: A picture interpretation can allow understanding, but some people do not look for nor accept a picture as part of an explanation or as part of reasoning.

Anytime something in a mathematical topic can be given a picture for its representation, this should make the topic much easier... It SHOULD.

I understand the picture is not proof, but it helps make sense of the symbols when you're first learning it. Once you have it in your head, then the symbols invoke those images and notation becomes second nature.

But for me, the kinetics are important too. Velocity and acceleration really helped me to understand derivatives.

The hardest topic topic in mathematics is the one where you have a lame, out of touch instructor who doesn't know how to communicate the operations of abstract symbols to an adequate variance of unlearned pupils. That is the general answer. I would say, however, all things being equal as as far as instruction, most mathematical physicists would probably say that the tensor calculus of general relatively is the toughest to navigate. At least as far as mainstream mathematics.

I've never even touched Riemannian geometry; I can't imagine. Precession is tough enough (as far as book-keeping goes, anyway). In my undergrad modern physics course, at the end of the second semester (after QM and nuclear) we had the choice between general relativity and nonlinear dynamics and we unanimously chose nonlinear dynamics.

we had the choice between general relativity and nonlinear dynamics and we unanimously chose nonlinear dynamics.

It turns out that, for the most part, the mathematics used in GR and nonlinear dynamics are somewhat similar. Both involve coupled, nonlinear DE's and typically cannot be solved analytically and have to be solved numerically by computer. GR analysis reduces to huge sets of coupled, partial, hyperbolic nonlinear DE's. I study brain mechanics using a model for coupled oscillators that uses coupled, nonlinear ODE's, which are simpler than the partials of GR but still require numerical analysis.

Interesting. That's my area of research for graduate studies (brain mechanics).

Interesting. That's my area of research for graduate studies (brain mechanics).

Wow, cool. Check out the CLION website at U Memphis under Kozma and Freeman's research. They've developed a model called the KV model where they lay out the equations. They even have a Matlab toolbox that you can download for free to play around with the oscillators.

Ah yes, large scale integration. Wasn't able to find the actual KV model on their site so far. I'm currently using a single neuron model (the Morris-Lecar model) of which I couple like 50-100 together. I'm guessing large scale integration involves something on the order of million-neuron-networks.

Thread is off topic.

1. What makes a topic in mathematics difficult?

A topic in mathematics can be considered difficult for a variety of reasons. It could involve complex concepts and theories that require a deep understanding and extensive practice to comprehend. It could also involve a high level of abstract thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, a topic may be challenging due to a lack of prior knowledge or understanding of foundational concepts.

2. What is the hardest topic in mathematics?

The answer to this question can vary depending on individual strengths and weaknesses. However, some topics that are commonly considered difficult include abstract algebra, differential equations, and advanced calculus. These topics involve advanced concepts and require a strong understanding of foundational math principles.

3. Why do many people struggle with mathematics?

Mathematics can be a challenging subject for many people due to its abstract nature and the need for precise logical thinking. Additionally, some individuals may struggle with mathematics due to a lack of interest or motivation, which can make it difficult to put in the necessary time and effort to understand the concepts.

4. How can someone improve their understanding of difficult mathematical topics?

Improving one's understanding of difficult mathematical topics takes time and practice. It can be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or tutoring. It is also essential to approach mathematics with a positive attitude and to persevere through challenging problems.

5. Can anyone master the hardest topics in mathematics?

Yes, with dedication and hard work, anyone can master even the most challenging topics in mathematics. It is crucial to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical principles and to approach difficult topics with a growth mindset. By breaking down problems, seeking help when needed, and practicing regularly, anyone can improve their understanding and mastery of difficult mathematical concepts.