Basic DC Circuit/Kirchoff problem with 2 power supplies

• Thread starter wellcoughed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Power
In summary, Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the algebraic sum of the voltage drops (i.e. products of current and resistance) taken around the loop is equal to the resultant emf acting in that loop. This analogy is used to explain how current, voltage, and power are related.
wellcoughed
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9775/picture2mq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi

I can't get my head round Kirchoffs law. I've been alright with series and parallel circuits with one voltage supply, but I've been given a problem with two voltage supplies.

Would anyone be able to explain how I would get volt drop, current and power dissipated across these resistors please?

I also don't understand why in some cases you add the emf's and sometimes you take them away from each other

Ive been given this as an explanation to Kirchoffs Voltage law but it's just gobbledegook to me :/

"In any closed loop in a network, the algebraic sum of the voltage drops (i.e. products of current and resistance) taken around the loop is equal to the resultant emf acting in that loop"

Many thanks if you can help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To explain by way of analogy, think of Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) like a walk on a hilly terrain that ends at the same location that it starts. Clearly the sum of all the "ups" has to to equal the sum of all the "downs" along the closed path.

The same is true of KVL: If you "walk" around a closed path in a circuit the sum of the potential changes must be zero.

What causes potential changes? A battery will cause a rise or a drop depending on which direction you "walk" through it. A resistor will cause a change in potential that is set by the direction of the current that flows through it; if you walk through the resistor against the flow of current, you see a potential rise. If you walk with the current, you see a potential drop.

So, label your circuit with currents shown for each branch. Don't worry about choosing the correct direction beforehand -- the math will sort things out; if your guess happened to be "incorrect", then the math will give you a negative value for that current, meaning it's flowing in the opposite direction to your assumption.

Next label each component with "+" and "-" at its ends to show the direction of potential changes which occur in that component. For batteries it's fixed regardless of current direction. For resistors, a drop occurs in the (assumed) direction of the current flow.

Next, identify the closed paths ("circuits") you wish to "walk" around. Usually this means recognizing the obvious loops in the circuit. You only need to find enough loops so that each component is "visited" at least once. Then, for each loop, "walk" around the loop and write down the potential changes as you pass through each component. For resistors, potential change have magnitude I*R and you get the sign from the +/- labels that you made previously. When you arrive back where you started, set the sum equal to zero. This procedure will result in an equation for each loop. Solve the set of equations to find the current values.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5104/shtuff.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've been asked to find the power dissipated across R3.

I'm just wondering if I'm right in my method so far?

Loop One:
-6v + R1(I1) + R3(I1-I2) = 0

I1 = 1.0471698Amps

Loop Two:
-1.5V + R2(I2) + R3(I2-I1)= 0

I2 = 0.71698112 Amps

But here's where it gets sticky...

To find the current across I3 I've done

I1-I2 = I3

1.047Amps - 0.717 Amps = 0.33Amps

I3 = 0.33Amps

Voltage Across I3 = I3 x R3
Voltage Across I3 = 0.33 x 15ohms
Voltage = 4.95V

Power dissipated across R3 = I3 x V3
Power dissipated across R3 = 0.33amps x 4.95V
Power dissipated across R3 = 1.6335Watts

But the confusion I have is the middle resistor is physically connected (+) to (-) to the 1.5V battery on the loop two side. Would this have an effect on the R3 volt drop that I haven't calculated for?

Thanks if you can help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wellcoughed said:
But the confusion I have is the middle resistor is physically connected (+) to (-) to the 1.5V battery on the loop two side. Would this have an effect on the R3 volt drop that I haven't calculated for?
But you did allow for it when you solved the two equations in two unknowns (the two currents).

so the method I've used in finding the power dissipated across R3 is correct?

And I've solved it? :)

wellcoughed said:
so the method I've used in finding the power dissipated across R3 is correct?

And I've solved it? :)

Your numbers look fine. So yes, solved!

By the way, we usually say that voltages are "across" components, currents flow "through" components, and power is dissipated "by" components :wink: Doesn't affect your answers though :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to help me :)

Much appreciated

1. What is a basic DC circuit?

A basic DC circuit is a closed loop of electronic components that allows an electric current to flow in one direction. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires, resistors, and other components that manipulate the flow of electric current.

2. What is a Kirchoff problem?

A Kirchoff problem is a type of circuit analysis problem that involves applying Kirchoff's laws, which are fundamental principles in circuit theory, to solve for unknown currents and voltages in a circuit.

3. How many power supplies are needed for a basic DC circuit with two power supplies?

As the name suggests, a basic DC circuit with two power supplies requires two power sources, one for each branch of the circuit. This allows for different voltage levels to be applied to different parts of the circuit.

4. How do you solve a basic DC circuit/Kirchoff problem with 2 power supplies?

The first step in solving this type of problem is to draw a circuit diagram and label all the known values, including the voltage and resistance of each component. Then, apply Kirchoff's laws to write a system of equations and solve for the unknown currents and voltages using algebraic methods.

5. What are the limitations of using Kirchoff's laws to solve basic DC circuits?

Kirchoff's laws are based on ideal circuit assumptions, such as no internal resistance in power sources and no electromagnetic interference. In real-world circuits, these assumptions may not hold true, which can lead to inaccuracies in calculations. Additionally, Kirchoff's laws only apply to circuits that can be represented as a series or parallel combination of resistors, so they cannot be used for more complex circuits.