Exploring the Commutation of Spin Operator and Magnetic Field

In summary, the commutation between the spin operator and a uniform magnetic field will produce the same result as the cross product between them. However, it would not be necessary to use the commutation relation [S_i,S_j] = i \epsilon_{ijk} S_k if only the product terms between H and s_x, s_y, s_z are taken into account.
n0_3sc

Homework Statement

I need to show the commutation between the spin operator and a uniform magnetic field will produce the same result as the cross product between them.
Does this make sense? I don't see how it can be possible.

Homework Equations

[s,B]

(The s should also have a hat on it)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have sB - Bs but do i represent s as (sx,sy,sz)? x,y,z are subscripts...
Even if I do that wouldn't the commutation = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Represent both spin and the magnetic field in terms of Pauli spin matrices.

n0_3sc said:

Homework Statement

I need to show the commutation between the spin operator and a uniform magnetic field will produce the same result as the cross product between them.
Does this make sense? I don't see how it can be possible.

Homework Equations

[s,B]

(The s should also have a hat on it)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have sB - Bs but do i represent s as (sx,sy,sz)? x,y,z are subscripts...
Even if I do that wouldn't the commutation = 0?

As stated, the question does not quite make sense. I think you mean the commutator of the spin with the hamiltonian of a particle in a uniform B field, [itex] H = \vec{s} \cdot \vec{B} [/itex] . Then you simply have to use the commutation relation of the Pauli matrices [itex] [S_i,S_j] = i \epsilon_{ijk} S_k [/itex] and the result follows trivially (except that it seems to me that one gets "i" times the cross product)

Patrick

nrqed:
So I evaluate [H,s]? In doing that, why would I need the commutation relation [tex] [S_i,S_j] = i \epsilon_{ijk} S_k [/tex] ? It shouldn't be needed if the product terms are only between terms of H and [tex] s_x, s_y, s_z [/tex].

n0_3sc said:
nrqed:
So I evaluate [H,s]? In doing that, why would I need the commutation relation [tex] [S_i,S_j] = i \epsilon_{ijk} S_k [/tex] ? It shouldn't be needed if the product terms are only between terms of H and [tex] s_x, s_y, s_z [/tex].

But H contains the spin! See my post.

1. What is the spin operator and how does it relate to magnetic fields?

The spin operator is a mathematical representation of the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a fundamental property of particles, and it has a direct relationship with magnetic fields. The spin operator and magnetic field operators commute, meaning they can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other.

2. Why is it important to explore the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field?

Understanding the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field is crucial in quantum mechanics, as it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

3. How is the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field calculated?

The commutation of two operators is calculated using the commutator bracket notation [A,B] = AB - BA. In the case of spin operator and magnetic field, the commutator is equal to the Bohr magneton (μB) multiplied by the particle's spin angular momentum.

4. Does the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field change for different types of particles?

Yes, the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field can vary for different types of particles. For example, for spin-1/2 particles, the commutator is equal to μB times the spin matrix, while for spin-1 particles, it is equal to μB times the spin tensor.

5. How does the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. Since spin is a quantum property of particles, the commutation of spin operator and magnetic field plays a crucial role in understanding and applying the Pauli exclusion principle.