Quantum constant of motion in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the Complete Set of commuting observables (CSCO) for a particle with mass m and spin 1/2 in the presence of a magnetic field. The CSCO is given by {H, L^2, Lz, Sz, S^2} without the magnetic field, and {H, L^2, Jz, J^2, S^2} with the magnetic field. The Hamiltonian is given by H = (p0^2/2m + V0) + (L^2/2mr) + (-muB/hbar)(glL + gsS)B0, where gl and gs are the gyromagnetic factors for orbital and spin respectively.
Dario SLC
Hello, I have a doubt about the Complete Set of commuting observables (CSCO) in the cases when there are a magnetic field ##B## in z.
The statement is find the constant of motion and CSCO for a particle of mass m and spin 1/2, not necessary a electron or any atomic particle.

I know that the CSCO is ##\{\hat{H}, \hat{L^2},\hat{L_z},\hat{S_z},\hat{S^2}\}## if not active the magnetic field, and them are constants of motion.
If not consider the coupling ##\hat{L}\hat{S}##, I think that the CSCO do not change, ie, conserve the constants of motion. But if I consider ##L\cdot S##, the new CSCO is ##\{\hat{H}, \hat{L^2},\hat{J_z},\hat{J^2},\hat{S^2}\}## (in absent of field ##B##)

That is true?

(The potential ##V##, is a spherical potential, only depends of ##r## coordinate.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dario SLC said:
The statement is find the constant of motion and CSCO for a particle of mass m and spin 1/2, not necessary a electron or any atomic particle.
Dario SLC said:
(The potential ##V##, is a spherical potential, only depends of ##r## coordinate.)
This is why we require that the homework template be filled, including the full statement of the problem. Is there a potential or not?

The answer to your question depends on what's included in the Hamiltonian. So, what is ##\hat{H}##?

DrClaude said:
This is why we require that the homework template be filled, including the full statement of the problem. Is there a potential or not?
Hello, yes I don't put it, this potencial is a spherical step of height ##V_0##.
Stament
A particle of mass ##m## and spin 1/2, is subject a potential spherical step of height ##V_0##. If a external magnetic field constant ##B_0## is activated in the direction of ##z##. Find the Hamiltonian and CSCO.

DrClaude said:
The answer to your question depends on what's included in the Hamiltonian. So, what is ##\hat{H}##?
I think that the Hamiltonian is:
$$
\hat{H_0}=\left(\frac{\hat{p}_0^2}{2m}+\hat{V_0}\right)+\frac{\hat{L^2}}{2mr}
$$
and the Hamiltonian due to external magnetic field ##B=B_0\hat{z}##
$$
\hat{H_1}=-\frac{\mu_B}{\hbar}\left(g_l\hat{L}+g_s\hat{S}\right)B_0
$$
when ##g_l## and ##g_s## there are de gyromagnetic factor (orbital and spin respectly), and because I don't know which class of particle is, I don't use the values 1 and 2 for ##g_l## and ##g_s##
then ##\hat{H}=\hat{H_0}+\hat{H_1}##

I don't include the interaction ##L\cdot S## because it's a particle of mass ##m##, I don't know if the mass generates a magnetic field like the electron. By this I think that the CSCO is the same independient of the external magnetic field, all conmutations remain valid.

1. What is the quantum constant of motion in a magnetic field?

The quantum constant of motion in a magnetic field is a physical quantity that remains constant in a system that is subject to a magnetic field. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.

2. How is the quantum constant of motion related to magnetic fields?

The quantum constant of motion is directly related to the strength of the magnetic field. As the magnetic field strength changes, the quantum constant of motion also changes, resulting in different behaviors of the particles in the system.

3. What is the significance of the quantum constant of motion in quantum mechanics?

The quantum constant of motion is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps describe the behavior and properties of particles in a magnetic field. It is crucial in understanding the quantum nature of matter and has numerous applications in fields such as electronics, materials science, and quantum computing.

4. How is the quantum constant of motion experimentally determined?

The quantum constant of motion can be experimentally determined through various techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and electron spin resonance (ESR). These methods use the principles of quantum mechanics to measure the behavior and properties of particles in a magnetic field and determine the quantum constant of motion.

5. Can the quantum constant of motion be changed or controlled?

The quantum constant of motion is a fundamental property of a system and cannot be changed or controlled directly. However, by manipulating the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the behavior of particles in the system can be altered, indirectly affecting the quantum constant of motion.