Fluid density and miscibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics and chemistry behind a Youtube video where a man swaps the positions of whiskey and water in a glass. It is noted that ethanol and water are miscible, but in whiskey, they are able to coexist. It is suggested that there may be a stabilizer or emulsifier in whiskey that allows this to happen. The role of density and diffusion in the swapping process is also considered.
In_Development
Ok, my question arises after seeing this Youtube video (you need to see it to understand what I am talking about):

This may be a part physics, part chemistry question.

Now, I know that ethanol and water are miscible. I also know that in whiskey, you find both ethanol and water. How come, therefore, when he performs the trick in question such a 'swapping' occurs?

Is it because the difference in density somehow overrides the 'diffusion' of the liquids or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not completely familiar with all of the ingredients in whiskey, but there could possibly be some kind of stabilizer or emulsifier that allows the two to be in solution together in whiskey. The trick you saw was a binary system. That makes it very easy to see the differences in specific gravity coming into play.

Cool trick. I think diffussion is a slow process, so what little takes place during the time the whiskey and water are in contact probably isn't noticable. Also they're only in contact only at the edges of their flows. Efficient mixing often isn't easy to accomplish. and this setup minimizes the opportunity.

I doubt if the idea of an emulsifier applies. Depending on the proof of the whiskey, there's already a fair bit of water in there.

Related to Fluid density and miscibility

1. What is fluid density?

Fluid density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of fluid. It is typically expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter or kilograms per liter.

2. How is fluid density measured?

Fluid density can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a balance to weigh a known volume of fluid or using specialized instruments like hydrometers or densitometers. The method used will depend on the type of fluid being measured and the accuracy required.

3. What factors affect fluid density?

The density of a fluid can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and composition. In general, as temperature increases, the density of a fluid decreases, and as pressure increases, the density of a fluid also increases. The composition of a fluid, such as the types and amounts of substances dissolved in it, can also affect its density.

4. What is miscibility?

Miscibility is a measure of how well two or more substances can mix together. In the context of fluids, it refers to the ability of two or more liquids to mix and form a homogeneous solution. If two liquids are miscible, they will fully dissolve in each other, while if they are immiscible, they will not mix together and may form separate layers.

5. How does miscibility relate to fluid density?

The miscibility of two liquids can be affected by their respective densities. Generally, two liquids with similar densities are more likely to be miscible, while liquids with significantly different densities are more likely to be immiscible. However, there are exceptions to this rule, and other factors such as molecular structure and polarity can also play a role in miscibility.