Proving Limits: Definition & Equations

In summary, the first student is trying to prove that the limit of function f(x) equals the limit of function f(a+h) if and only if both limits are equal to f(a). However, the proof does not seem to be working correctly. The second student is trying to prove that the limit of function f(x) equals the limit of function f(a+h) if and only if both limits are less than or equal to the limit of function f(a). However, the proof also does not seem to be working correctly.
tanzl

1. Homework Statement

1)Prove that > limit(f(x), x = a) = limit(f(a+h), h = 0)

2. Prove that limit(f(x), x = a) = L iff limit(f(x)-L, x = a) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)I have tried to use the definition |f(x)-limf(a+h)| and |f(a+h)-limf(x)|. But it doesn't seem to be working because no further simplification can be done. I can't find a way to relate it back to |x-2|<delta and |h|<delta because the i can't eliminate the limit of function. I have also tried to assume both limit equals to f(a) and proves them. But again, it stucks.

2)First I assume that limit(f(x), x = a) = L. Then, the definition follows.
There exists 0<|x-a|<delta such that |f(x)-L|< epsilon...(1)
So, in the case of limit(f(x)-L, x = a) = 0.
0<|x-a|<delta |f(x)-L-0|=|f(x)-L|<epsilon... from (1)
and vice versa.
But it doesn't look like a proof to me. It more like I am rewriting it in another way. Is there a better way to put it?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
tanzl said:

1. Homework Statement

1)Prove that > limit(f(x), x = a) = limit(f(a+h), h = 0)

2. Prove that limit(f(x), x = a) = L iff limit(f(x)-L, x = a) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)I have tried to use the definition |f(x)-limf(a+h)| and |f(a+h)-limf(x)|. But it doesn't seem to be working because no further simplification can be done. I can't find a way to relate it back to |x-2|<delta and |h|<delta because the i can't eliminate the limit of function. I have also tried to assume both limit equals to f(a) and proves them. But again, it stucks.
"|f(x)- lim f(a+h)|" is very awkward. The DEFINITION of limit is that if [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}= L[/itex], then, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)-L|< \epsilon[/itex]. For [itex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(x+ h)= L[/itex], using that same definition, you need to show that given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |h- 0|= |h|<\delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(a+ h)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. What happens if you replace "h" in the second formulation by x- a?

2)First I assume that limit(f(x), x = a) = L. Then, the definition follows.
There exists 0<|x-a|<delta such that |f(x)-L|< epsilon...(1)
So, in the case of limit(f(x)-L, x = a) = 0.
0<|x-a|<delta |f(x)-L-0|=|f(x)-L|<epsilon... from (1)
and vice versa.
But it doesn't look like a proof to me. It more like I am rewriting it in another way. Is there a better way to put it?

Thanks...
Rewriting it basically is the proof. The only difference between the first part and the second is that the function f(x) is replace by the function f(x)- L. Okay replace f(x) by that in the definition of limit:
Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|(f(x)-L)- 0|= |f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. The fact that |(f(x)-L)- 0| is exactly the same as |f(x)- L| is the whole point.

For the 1st question, first we assume that
lim(f(x) , x = a) = L. Then, given any epsilon>0 there exists an delta>0 such that if
0<|x-a|<delta then |f(x)-L|<epsilon.

Then, the second part, we assume again lim(f(a+h) , h = 0) = L. Then, given any epsilon>0 there exists an delta>0 such that if
0<|h|<delta by letting |h|=|x-a| |f(a+h)-L|=|f(x)-L|<epsilon.

Is this the correct reasoning for the solution? It doesn't seem to be logical to me especially the assumption of lim(f(a+h) , h = 0) = L because if we do that we already assume that the both are equal so the prove is meaningless. But, if I assume lim(f(a+h) , h = 0) = M, it stucks.

What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function approaches, or "approaches as a limit", as the input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

How do you prove a limit?

To prove a limit, you must show that the function approaches the expected value as the input approaches a specific value. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, where you must show that for any positive distance (epsilon), there exists a positive distance (delta) for which the function's output is within epsilon of the expected value for all inputs within the delta distance from the specific value.

What are the different types of limits?

There are three types of limits: left-sided limits, right-sided limits, and two-sided limits. Left-sided limits are when the input approaches the specific value from the left side, right-sided limits are when the input approaches from the right side, and two-sided limits are when the input approaches from both sides and the function must approach the same value for both sides.

What is the difference between a limit and continuity?

A limit describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value, while continuity describes the behavior of a function at a specific value. A function is continuous at a specific value if the limit exists at that value and the function's output equals the expected limit value. In other words, continuity is a property of a function at a particular point, while a limit is a property of a function as the input approaches a specific value.

How are limits used in real-life applications?

Limits are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of an object at a particular time, determining the concentration of a chemical at a specific location, and finding the optimal solution for a problem in economics or engineering. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of functions and their graphs, which are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena.