College Decision: Should I Sell Assets to Pursue Physics Major?

• Thread starter Tasthius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: You would be starting from square one, but at a community college you have a much better shot at succeeding. Community colleges are great for people who don't have the grades or test scores required for a more prestigious university, but they are not the best option for people who are looking to get a good education and further their career.
Tasthius
This is a hypothetical question for most of you, and I realize that answers will be relative for each person based on a number of factors, however I will summarize my current predicament:

I want to attend college and major in physics. I already have about two years under my belt in another subject, however my GPA is below the minimum amount needed for financial aid. I quit going, I only completed 45% of my classes attempted!

In other words, I am SOL. My only option is to sell some personal assets which will cover it, but I will lose that money forever. I want a real career, and I want to graduate from college. I like physics more than anything, as it is a hobby of mine.

What would you do? Be a layman or sell your family's assets?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "SOL" mean? Also, you will sell personal assets to cover what? To pay for college? It's not clear. Personally, I wouldn't sell my family's assets. I would sell my own assets or work for whatever money I needed, and if I can't, I'd be a layman. Do you plan on taking advantage of your family, or are they willingly giving up their assets?

What does "SOL" mean?

**** Outta Luck
Also, you will sell personal assets to cover what? To pay for college?

That's right.

It's not clear. Personally, I wouldn't sell my family's assets. I would sell my own assets

They are mine, I own them. I am not married, have no kids. It's just they have sentimental value, that's all.

My suggestion would be to hit the workforce for a few more years, save up some money on the side, and when you're sure you're ready to seriously tackle your studies, then use that money to pay for college.

If your GPA is low, before you head back to college again, really spend some time introspecting as to why it was that low. Did you struggle with your classes? Were you slacking off and just not applying yourself to assignments? Did you spend too much time partying and not enough time studying? Did you hate the other subject so much that you just couldn't make yourself study? Did you have problems managing your time? Did you know how to study?

How you answer those questions is going to be help you determine whether you are prepared to return to college or if you're just wasting your money. Physics is a VERY difficult major, so unless you're prepared to put your nose to the grindstone and are able to handle the workload, you're going to have a tough time of it.

How you answer those questions is going to be help you determine whether you are prepared to return to college or if you're just wasting your money. Physics is a VERY difficult major, so unless you're prepared to put your nose to the grindstone and are able to handle the workload, you're going to have a tough time of it.

Well I had all A's and B's in the liberal arts basic courses, and the same in the core science Biology courses (I was a Bio major), with a few C's here and there. And that was me putting about half an effort into it.

I have a question here for anyone in the know. Would it be possible for me to forget about the university I attended and simply go to the local CC and start out as a freshman? In other words, can I just leave those bad grades behind me and start over at another school? I don't see why I can't as there is no need for transcripts to begin at a CC.

At the CC, I could take the basic Physics and Calculus courses and see if i could hack it at a better university that is across the state.

I have a question here for anyone in the know. Would it be possible for me to forget about the university I attended and simply go to the local CC and start out as a freshman? In other words, can I just leave those bad grades behind me and start over at another school? I don't see why I can't as there is no need for transcripts to begin at a CC.

Be careful about that judgement. I assume when you mention CC, you are referring to a community college. Fair warning about community colleges: your grades are most likely not going away when you apply for a community college and your status (freshman, junior, etc.) will depend on how many courses transfer.

However, because it is a community college, your chances of getting in improve and once you get it, you can work hard and improve your GPA though it may take a long time depending on where you are at in terms of your GPA (I don't know your GPA and it's none of my business).

Another warning about CC. I went to a "CC" for two years before I transferred to Georgia Tech. This CC was one of the roughest schools I have ever seen and a lot of people flunked out. I had to work extra hard to maintain an A-B average and it was a stressful endeavour. In turn, however, it provided me a strong foundation in math and physics and gave me more temerity in pursuing a tough field like physics.

So in other words, depending on the CC, CC's can make you or they can break you. It's all up to you.

**** Outta Luck

I thought it meant Spain OnLine.

I concur with Moonbear. You may want to work for a while to earn up some money (and CC's are relatively cheaper).

Good luck Tasthius

1. What assets should I consider selling to pursue a physics major?

This ultimately depends on your individual financial situation and the value of your assets. Common assets that people consider selling include stocks, investments, real estate, and valuable possessions such as jewelry or artwork.

2. Will selling my assets provide enough funds to cover the cost of a physics major?

Again, this will vary depending on the value of your assets and the cost of your chosen physics program. It's important to carefully calculate and budget your finances to ensure that selling your assets will provide enough funds to cover your education expenses.

3. Are there any other financial options I should consider besides selling assets?

Yes, there are other options such as scholarships, grants, and student loans that may be available to you. It's important to explore all of your options and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

4. How will selling assets affect my financial stability in the future?

Selling assets can have both positive and negative impacts on your financial stability. On one hand, it can provide the necessary funds to pursue your education and potentially increase your earning potential in the future. However, it's important to carefully consider the long-term effects and potential risks before selling any valuable assets.

5. Is it worth selling assets to pursue a physics major?

This is a personal decision that only you can make. It's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons, consider your financial options, and think about your long-term goals before making a decision. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a financial advisor or mentor to help you make an informed decision.