Integral Solutions for n,m Positive Integers

In summary: I think I may have been confused on the sync function. Can you help me understand it a little better?
yungman

Homework Statement

[tex]\int ^b_0 cos(\frac{(n-m)\pi}{b}x) dx[/tex]

[tex]\int ^b_0 cos(\frac{(n+m)\pi}{b}x) dx[/tex]

n and m are positive integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int ^b_0 cos(\frac{(n-m)\pi}{b}x) dx = \frac{b\;sin[(n-m)\pi]}{(n-m)\pi} [/tex]

Obviously answer is zero if n not equal to m. This is a sync function. I don't know how to derive the answer. From the graph, the answer should be b, but how do I derive it.

Also I want to verify:

[tex]\int ^b_0 cos(\frac{(n+m)\pi}{b}x) dx = \frac{sin[(n+m)\pi]}{(n+m)\pi} = \frac{b}{(n+m)\pi}[/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
[tex]\int ^b_0 cos(\frac{(n-m)\pi}{b}x) dx = \frac{sin[(n-m)\pi]}{(n-m)\pi} [/tex]
This isn't correct. Almost, but not quite. Surely your integral should be a function of b, no?
yungman said:
Obviously answer is zero if n not equal to m.
Indeed.
yungman said:
This is a sync function. I don't know how to derive the answer. From the graph, the answer should be 1, but how do I derive it.
Why do you think that be answer should be one?

yungman said:
Also I want to verify:

[tex]\int ^b_0 cos(\frac{(n+m)\pi}{b}x) dx = \frac{sin[(n+m)\pi]}{(n+m)\pi} = \frac{0}{(n+m)\pi}=0[/tex]
You won't be able to verify this, because it isn't correct - see the above comments.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hootenanny said:
This isn't correct. Almost, but not quite. Surely your integral should be a function of b, no?

Indeed.

Why do you think that be answer should be one?

You won't be able to verify this, because it isn't correct - see the above comments.

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

I have covered my tracks on my original post. Too bad I cannot change what you quote my answer to cover my track!:bugeye::eek:!LOL!

Yes I was rushing to post late last night and forget the b. How does this look now? Also how do I derive the sync function?

Thanks

I have covered my tracks on my original post. Too bad I cannot change what you quote my answer to cover my track!:bugeye::eek:!LOL!

Yes I was rushing to post late last night and forget the b. How does this look now? Also how do I derive the sync function?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
The first one is now correct, the second one isn't - probably just another typo.

In order to compute the value of the integral when n=m, think about what happens in the limit as n-m approaches zero.

Yes, the second answer is wrong all together.

[tex]\frac {b \;sin(n+m)\pi}{(n+m)\pi} [/tex]

where this is a sinc function equal to zero if n and m are integers.

Thanks

Alan

What are integral solutions for n,m positive integers?

Integral solutions for n,m positive integers refer to all possible combinations of positive whole numbers that satisfy a given equation or set of equations.

How do you find integral solutions for n,m positive integers?

To find integral solutions for n,m positive integers, you can use various methods such as trial and error, substitution, or algebraic manipulation. It ultimately depends on the specific equation or problem given.

Why are integral solutions important in mathematics?

Integral solutions are important in mathematics because they allow us to find specific solutions to equations and problems, rather than just approximate answers. They also help us better understand the relationships and patterns between numbers.

What are some real-life applications of integral solutions?

Integral solutions have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to solve optimization problems, design algorithms, and analyze data, among other things.

Can there be more than one set of integral solutions for n,m positive integers?

Yes, there can be multiple sets of integral solutions for n,m positive integers for a given equation or problem. In some cases, there may even be an infinite number of possible solutions. It all depends on the nature of the equation and the constraints given.