IB Extended Essay topic in mathematics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school student looking for a topic for their International Baccalaureate extended essay in mathematics. They are interested in Number Theory, Set Theory, and Logic, but are unsure if their essay can include formulas and derivations. Some suggested topics are the set theoretic controversy, Godel's incompleteness theorem, Fermat's last theorem, and the use of math in GPS. There is also a discussion on the level of understanding needed for Fermat's last theorem and the regret of not choosing a topic related to GPS.
l-1j-cho
I tried to find an adequate one, but all of my attempts is beyond the reach of my ability as a high school student. I am interested in Number Theory, Set Theory, or Logic. Could you suggest me one?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As I'm not from america, I'm not familiar with the IB extended essay. Can it be a mathematical text, or does it need to be an essay without formula's and derivations?

Anyways, there are some great topics out there:

- an essay on the set theoretic controversy in the beginning of this century, and how it lead to an entirely different axiomatic system for mathematics. And how it lead to the conclusion that logic is indispensable in mathematics.
- Godel's incompleteness theorem: write about it's consequences and it's philosophical ramifications.
- Diophantos equations and the last theorem of Fermat.
- Infinity in mathematics

It's actually one of the requirements that a student has to fulfill in order to achieve the International Bacculeurate Diploma.
"Can it be a mathematical text, or does it need to be an essay without formula's and derivations?"
I am not sure about this. I must ask my supervisor about this.

All of your suggestions sounds really interesting to me! Cheers!
(By the way, am I competent to understand the last theorem of Fermat? apparently even some of PhD holders struggle to absorb it)

l-1j-cho said:
(By the way, am I competent to understand the last theorem of Fermat? apparently even some of PhD holders struggle to absorb it)

No, I guess you're not competent enough to understand the proof of the Last Theorem of Fermat :biggrin: But I wasn't suggesting you study Wiles' proof. I suggested that you wrote something about the history of the proof, the mathematicians that worked on it, etc.

And I actually do think you're competent enough to understand the case n=3 and n=4 of Fermat's theorem. It would take a little work though...

That's would be interesting.
Should I work at the North Pole?

If your still interested in doing an EE in math and haven't yet found a topic...

You could do your EE on the use of math in GPS... Shouldn't be too bad. You'd be able to draw diagrams showing triangulation... explain the use of triangulation, how GPS accuracy can be improved.

Looking back on it now, I'm regretting not doing mine on this

FAQ: IB Extended Essay topic in mathematics?

1. What is the purpose of the IB Extended Essay in mathematics?

The IB Extended Essay in mathematics is an independent research project that allows students to explore a topic of their interest in depth. It aims to develop students' research, critical thinking, and writing skills, as well as their understanding and application of mathematical concepts.

2. Can I choose any topic for my IB Extended Essay in mathematics?

No, the topic must be related to mathematics and approved by your supervisor. It is recommended to choose a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths, but also has enough complexity and depth to be suitable for an extended essay.

3. How do I structure my IB Extended Essay in mathematics?

The structure of the essay should follow the standard essay format, including an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. In addition, it should include a research question, a clear and logical argument, and relevant mathematical concepts and methods. It is also important to properly cite all sources used in the essay.

4. How do I select and analyze data for my IB Extended Essay in mathematics?

The selection and analysis of data should be based on the research question and the chosen mathematical concepts and methods. Data can be collected through experiments, surveys, or secondary sources. It is important to carefully analyze the data and use appropriate mathematical tools and techniques to draw conclusions and support the argument.

5. When should I start working on my IB Extended Essay in mathematics?

You should start working on your IB Extended Essay in mathematics as early as possible, ideally in your junior year. This will give you enough time to choose a topic, conduct research, and write a high-quality essay. It is also recommended to meet regularly with your supervisor for guidance and feedback throughout the process.

Back