What is the difference between a dipole and polarity?

In summary, a dipole in chemistry refers to the separation of charges within a molecule between two covalently bonded atoms, caused by one atom having a higher electronegativity. This is different from polarization, which can refer to either a change in the dipole moment due to an external field or the sources of the electric field within the medium. The concept of a dipole is more strictly defined through a multipole expansion of the charge contribution, which can be interpreted as the macroscopic dipole moment density in simpler situations. This may be difficult to understand for those without a strong background in mathematics.
marc32123
From what I have been learning recently, a dipole is a separation of electric charges and in chemistry, a dipole refers to the separation of charges within a molecule between two covalently bonded atoms (which is caused from one atom having a higher electronegativity) What I don't understand is how this is different from polarization in chemistry?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A dipole is defined more strictly via a multipole expansion of the charge contribution, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipole_expansion
Polarisation referseither to a change of the dipole moment due to an external field or to the sources of the electric field inside the medium. In simple situations, the latter can be interpreted as the macroscopic dipole moment density.

Thanks for the info, although it is kind of out of the realm of what I understand about chem so far. I checked out that article on wiki already and had no idea what it was saying. I am terrible with math. Is there any way you could somewhat explain it in a somewhat understandable way what you mean by

A dipole is defined more strictly via a multipole expansion of the charge contribution

It would be greatly appreciated!

Related to What is the difference between a dipole and polarity?

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or compound that has two opposite charges, known as poles, due to an uneven distribution of electrons. This results in a separation of positive and negative charges, creating a dipole moment.

2. What is polarity?

Polarity refers to the uneven distribution of electrical charges within a molecule or compound. This can result in a molecule having a positive and negative end, known as a dipole, or having no separation of charges, known as non-polar.

3. What is the difference between a dipole and polarity?

A dipole is a specific type of polarity, where there is a clear separation of charges within a molecule. Polarity, on the other hand, can refer to both dipole and non-polar molecules.

4. How can you determine if a molecule is polar or non-polar?

The polarity of a molecule can be determined by looking at its molecular structure and the electronegativity of its atoms. If the molecule has a symmetrical structure and all atoms have similar electronegativities, it is likely non-polar. If the molecule has an asymmetrical structure and the atoms have different electronegativities, it is likely polar.

5. What are some examples of polar and non-polar molecules?

Examples of polar molecules include water (H2O), ammonia (NH3), and hydrogen chloride (HCl). Examples of non-polar molecules include carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), and oxygen (O2).