Seperable Equation, Differential Equations, Can't Seperate

In summary, a separable equation is a type of differential equation where the independent and dependent variables can be separated into different functions, allowing for separate integration. To solve a separable equation, rearrange the equation, integrate both sides separately, and solve for the constant of integration. A differential equation is an equation that relates functions to their derivatives. Not all differential equations can be separated, but other methods such as substitution or integrating factor can be used. If unable to separate an equation, consult resources or seek assistance from a mathematician or teacher.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

dy/dt - 2ty = 9(t^2)e^(t^2)

Find y(t) that satisfies this equation for y(0)=1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I added 2ty, multiplied by dt, but after that, I cannot separate y and t. Any help? Thank you for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
With an equation like that, you need to multiply by an integrating factor. Check here for more information on it.

I solved it, thank you. I had worked 4 equations that were set up to be seperable before that one, so I didn't think to try an integrating factor. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the independent variable and dependent variable can be separated into different functions. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides separately.

2. How do you solve a separable equation?

To solve a separable equation, you first need to rearrange the equation so that all terms with the dependent variable are on one side and all terms with the independent variable are on the other side. Then, you can integrate both sides separately and solve for the constant of integration if necessary.

3. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates one or more functions to their derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a variable and its rate of change.

4. Can all differential equations be separated?

No, not all differential equations can be separated. Only certain types of equations, such as separable equations, can be solved by separating the variables and integrating them separately.

5. What do I do if I can't separate an equation?

If you are unable to separate an equation, you can try using other methods of solving differential equations such as substitution, using an integrating factor, or using a power series approach. It is also helpful to consult resources or seek assistance from a mathematician or teacher.