Understanding pH: Solving Confusing Problems with Strong Acids and Bases

In summary, the conversation is about finding the pH of 12.1 M HCl and 50% NaOH solutions. The speaker is initially confused about their calculations for the pH of HCl and questions if they are doing something wrong. They then mention the possibility of negative pH values and ask for further help. Another person responds, explaining that negative pH values are possible for very concentrated solutions and may not follow the usual principles. The original speaker thanks them for clarifying and mentions that they were expecting a pH value closer to zero.
nautica
I know this is simple, but I am a bit confused

1) find the pH of 12.1 M HCl - the negative log gives me -1.8. What am I doing wrong

2) 50% NaOH (roughly 15 M) - I am not sure how to do this one either

thanks
nautica

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, HCL is a strong acid, so it dissociates completely in ions. Of course aqueous solution.

[tex] HCl + H_{2}O \rightarrow H_{3}O^{+} + Cl^{-} [/tex]

[tex] H_{3}O^+ \approx H^+ [/tex]

I get pH -log(12.1) = -1.08, are you sure is 12.1 M?

Well, i barely remember my freshman chemistry, wait for more help.

Last edited:
What's wrong? You are allowed to have pH values that are negative and that are also above 14.

If the concentration is beyond the limits of Ostwald's dilution principle, then some weird results like this is likely to occur, as gravenenewworld said in a different way. Nautica, your findings of negative pH and pOH values are normal, as these are very concentrated and are not obeying the principle.

Thanks, I was aware that pH could be negative, but I did not realize they would get that negative. I was thinking around zero and negative 0.5 or so.

thanks
Nautica

1. What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is a scale from 0-14, where 0 is the most acidic, 7 is neutral, and 14 is the most basic.

2. How is pH calculated?

pH is calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution. The formula is pH = -log[H+].

3. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is a substance that completely dissociates in water, meaning all of the molecules break apart into ions. This results in a high concentration of hydrogen ions and a low pH. A weak acid, on the other hand, only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions and a higher pH.

4. How do strong acids and bases affect pH?

Strong acids and bases have a greater effect on pH compared to weak acids and bases. This is because they completely dissociate in water, leading to a larger change in the concentration of hydrogen ions.

5. How can I solve confusing problems with strong acids and bases?

To solve problems involving strong acids and bases, it is important to first identify the type of acid or base (strong or weak) and the initial and final pH values. Then, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation or the ionization constant equation to calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions and other ions in the solution. Finally, use the concentration values to calculate the change in pH and determine the correct answer.