Pauli exclusion principle and position-state restriction

In summary, the Slater determinant in the Hartree-Fock approximation states that no two electrons with the same spin can be in the same position. However, in the case of a Slater determinant, electrons with opposite spins can occupy the same position, as they are uncorrelated. The orbitals used in a Slater determinant are mathematical functions that map one coordinate to one complex number and can be chosen in various ways, including having different spin parts for the same spatial part.
hokhani
Can one deduce from Pauli's exclusion principle (through the Slater Determinant) that two electrons with different spins in the same energy level, can't have the same position?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think this would be true at all?

Jilang said:
Page 3 of the following link says so?
http://www.physics.metu.edu.tr/~sturgut/slater.pdf
It says, "No two electrons in a system can be in the same one-particle state... Note that in the statement “one-particle state” refers to both space and spin parts."

The OP says the spins are different. With an antisymmetric spin part, the space part of the two-electron wavefunction must be symmetric.

Likes 1 person
Let me explain my problem clearly. In the expression [itex]\psi _\alpha (x)[/itex] for wave function of an electron, [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the state and [itex]x[/itex] includes both position and spin. I don't know whether [itex]\alpha[/itex] includes the spin or not and if it includes spin, is this spin the spin existed in the [itex]x[/itex]?

Last edited:
If you have a state which is a Slater determinant, you can derive with the Pauli principle that no two electrons with the *same* spin are in the same position. That is, if you have a N-particle wave function Θ, which is a Slater determinant, then the value Θ(x1, x2, x3,..., xN) = 0 whenever any two different coordinates i, j coincide (i.e., xi = xj). Here xi = (ri, si) is the combined space spin coordinate of the electron[1].

In the case of a Slater determinant, however, electronic coordinates with opposite spin are actually uncorrelated. That is, two electrons with opposite spin can happily sit on top of each other. Nothing in either theory or practice (this actually happens in real life) stops them from doing this.

[1] the orbitals entering the determinant are, strictly speaking, functions which take one of those combined coordinates and return a complex number.

hokhani said:
Let me explain my problem clearly. In the expression [itex]\psi _\alpha (x)[/itex] for wave function of an electron, [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the state and [itex]x[/itex] includes both position and spin. I don't know whether [itex]\alpha[/itex] includes the spin or not and if it includes spin, is this spin the spin existed in the [itex]x[/itex]?

I haven't got any answer to the question above. Could anyone please answer the question?

hokhani said:
I haven't got any answer to the question above. Could anyone please answer the question?
It works like this: In reality, there is no wave function for an electron. There is only a single wave function for the N-electron system. In the Hartree-Fock approximation, this is a single Slater determinant Θ (and in the general case, it can be written as a linear combination of Slater determinants).

This Slater determinant is a function of N variables xi = (ri,si), which include both space and spin coordinates. The determinant itself is simply an anti-symmetrized product of N one-particle wave functions φ_k (the so called spin-orbitals):
[tex]\Phi(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_N) = \frac{1}{N!}\sum_{p\in S_N} \mathrm{sgn}(p)\varphi_1(x_{p(1)}) \varphi_2(x_{p(2)}) \ldots \varphi_N(x_{p(N)}) [/tex]
where [itex]S_N[/itex] is the permutation group of order N, and sgn(p) is the permutation p's sign.
What can we see from that? For this to work, the orbitals φ_k must be mathematical functions [itex](\mathbb{R}^3\times\mathbb{Z_2})\mapsto \mathbb{C}[/itex], which take one coordinate x and map it to one complex number. Formally, they can do that in any way they like: they just are functions which take three continuous and one discrete sub-variables and map it to a single scalar.

But how is this done in reality? For example, there are many "closed-shell" molecules. In that case, the molecular determinant can be written in terms of pairs of spin-orbitals φ_{Ak} and φ_{Bk}, one for alpha- and one for beta spin, with the same spatial part φ_{k}. That is, these spin-orbitals φ_{Sk} are chosen in such a way that they consist of one part φ_{k} which only depends on the spatial coordinate (i.e., is a normal 3d function), and one part S, which depends only on the spin coordinate.:
[tex]
\varphi_{kS}(\vec x) = \varphi_{kS}(\vec r, s) = \varphi_k(\vec r) S(s)
[/tex]
S here is a 'discrete function' of one variable s, which can only have to values: s=A and s=B (or up and down or how you would like to call them). In practice one just uses the basis functions of this space; that means one spin function "A(s)" which returns 1 for s=A and 0 for s=B, and one "B(s)" which returns 1 for s=B and 0 for s=A.

So, to sum it up: One spatial "molecular orbital" (or state if you prefer that name) leads to two possible spin orbitals, which have the same spatial part and different spin parts. The orbitals are not mapped one to one to electronic coordinates; on the contrary, any coordinate x=(r,s) can go into *any* orbital (see anti-symmetrizer above). However, for some combinations of orbtial/coordinate, the contribution to the wave function vanishes (e.g., if you put a coordinate x=(r,A) into a spin orbital φ_{Bk}, then φ_{Bk}(x) = 0). Note again that the orbital φ_k and electronic coordinate x_k are not connected: any electron coordinate goes into any orbital.

This might be a bit confusing at first, but if you look through it step by step, then you just understood *the* basis of practical many-body methods.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. In other words, two fermions cannot have the exact same set of quantum numbers (such as position, energy, and spin) in a given system.

2. What is the significance of the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms. It allows for the formation of stable atoms by limiting the number of electrons that can occupy a given energy level. This principle also explains the stability of matter and the properties of elements in the periodic table.

3. How does the Pauli exclusion principle relate to the position-state restriction?

The position-state restriction, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This principle is related to the Pauli exclusion principle because the two principles work together to restrict the possible quantum states that a fermion can occupy in a given system.

4. Can the Pauli exclusion principle be violated?

No, the Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It is considered to be one of the most well-established principles in physics.

5. How does the Pauli exclusion principle explain the behavior of electrons in a solid material?

The Pauli exclusion principle explains why electrons in a solid material organize themselves into energy bands, with each band containing a maximum of two electrons with opposite spins. This behavior allows for the formation of solid materials and the diverse properties they exhibit, such as electrical conductivity and magnetism.