Energy levels of helium/equation

In summary, the equation for the energy levels of a hydrogen-like atom is aμ = a0, where μ is approximately equal to a0 (the Bohr radius). However, for atoms like helium, it is not possible to solve the system exactly. People typically look up energy levels from a table or run computer simulations, with Gordon W. F. Drake being a prominent figure in accurate calculations for helium. Understanding these calculations requires a graduate-level understanding of quantum mechanics.
granpa
the equation for the energy levels of a hydrogen-like atom is:

e1fff0de782fe5dfb583088b40a82165.png

Note that aμ, is approximately equal to a0, (the Bohr radius). If the mass of the nucleus is infinite then μ = me, and aμ = a0

b17195a99c8dbe999ce3f8bc86a6e03a.png

but what is the equation for the energy levels of a helium or helium-like atom? I've heard that heliums spectrum is simply 2 hydrogen spectrums superimposed so it should be quite simple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
as far as I know, you can't solve those system exactly. Only two-body systems can be

I'm not asking for a 'solution'. I'm asking what equation fits the empirically observed spectrum.

But that's what a solution is.

I'm not even going to touch that.

So what ARE you asking for then?
Are you asking if there is e.g. an interpolating polynomial (or more realistically; an expansion using some other bases; e.g. Lorentzians) that fits the shape of an experimental spectrum?

I doubt such a thing exist; it is of course possible to create but it would need to contain so many terms that it would be useless; it is much easier to look up the data in a table or just run a computer simulation.

In practice, as far as I know, people either look up the energy levels from a table or chart, OR they run computer simulations to calculate them.

For the simulations, you might do a search on Gordon W. F. Drake. He practically made a living from accurate calculations of helium, at least in the 1990's. Three references to his work are given here:

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Handbook/Tables/heliumtable7.htm

EDIT: Understanding Drake's calculations in any detail pretty much requires grad-school level quantum mechanics.

Last edited:
thank you. that was extremely helpful.

1. What are the energy levels of helium?

The energy levels of helium refer to the specific energy states that electrons can occupy within an atom of helium. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values.

2. How many energy levels does helium have?

Helium has a total of 2 energy levels, designated as n=1 and n=2. The n=1 level is the lowest energy level and the n=2 level is the higher energy level.

3. What is the equation for calculating the energy levels of helium?

The energy levels of helium can be calculated using the equation E = -13.6/n^2, where E is the energy in electron volts (eV) and n is the energy level number.

4. How does the energy level of helium affect its chemical properties?

The energy level of helium affects its chemical properties by determining the ionization energy required to remove an electron from an atom. This energy level also affects the reactivity and stability of the atom.

5. What is the significance of the energy levels of helium?

The energy levels of helium are significant because they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, as well as in the development of quantum mechanics. They also help explain the spectral lines observed in the emission spectrum of helium.