Thin Long Rod, (Charge Density)

Then x = L + d - u, and dx = -du. In summary, the problem involves finding the units of the constant μ, which is assumed to be not constant but equal to μx. The units are found to be C/m^2. To find the force, the charge element dq is found to be μxdx, and the overall force is calculated using Coulomb's law and integrating from 0 to L. The limit of integration should be from 0 to L and the distance between the charge element and the point charge should be (L-x+d). To calculate the integral, a substitution can be used such as u = L-x+d.
TheLegace

Homework Statement

I was just wondering if I had done this problem correctly

Take the rod axis to be the x-axis and the lefthand end of the rod to be x = 0. Assume
lambda is not constant but that lambda = μx where μ is a constant. What are the units of μ?
Find the force Vector F on the point charge q located a distance d from the righthand end of
the rod.

Homework Equations

dq= μxdx
dF = 1/4(pi)e_0 * (dq*q/d^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well, to start I want to find what the constant μ units will be. I figure since lambda needs to be C/m, and x would be a function of displacement, then the units for μ would be C/m^2; when you take product μx = C/m.

Now to find the force, I figured I should the find the dq for the rod, dq=lambda*dx=μxdx
Which I am hoping is correct.

Now dF = 1/4(pi)e_0 * (dq*q/d^2). Now integrating from 0 to x yields
F=(μq/(d^2)8(pi)e_0) * x^2, now I work out the units they I get a Newton unit, so that helps me confirm that maybe I did it right. What I may have issues with is are my bounds for integration correct and is my statement about the radius squared in Coulombs law correct.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if it is a bit difficult to read.

Thank You.
TheLegace

Physics news on Phys.org
How long is the rod? You don't say, so let's assume it is L. Your limits of integration should be from 0 to L. Also, if your charge element dq is at distance x from the origin, then its distance to the point charge will be (L - x + d). The square of that is what should be in your denominator.

kuruman said:
How long is the rod? You don't say, so let's assume it is L. Your limits of integration should be from 0 to L. Also, if your charge element dq is at distance x from the origin, then its distance to the point charge will be (L - x + d). The square of that is what should be in your denominator.

Thank You, I finally realized that since dq is being taken it will be subtracting the x, looking at geometry I was able to figure it out, but thank you very much.

Now is the integral easy to take? How would one take it?

One would find a substitution that works. For example, let u = L - x +d.

1. What is a thin long rod in terms of physics?

A thin long rod in physics is a one-dimensional object with a small diameter and a long length. It is often referred to as a "filament" or "wire" and is used to represent an object with a high aspect ratio.

2. How is the charge density of a thin long rod defined?

The charge density of a thin long rod is defined as the amount of electric charge per unit length of the rod. It is represented by the symbol λ (lambda) and is measured in units of coulombs per meter (C/m).

3. What factors affect the charge density of a thin long rod?

The charge density of a thin long rod is affected by the amount of electric charge on the rod and its length. It is also influenced by the material the rod is made of, as different materials have different abilities to hold and distribute electric charge.

4. How is the electric field around a thin long rod affected by its charge density?

The electric field around a thin long rod is directly proportional to its charge density. This means that as the charge density increases, the electric field strength also increases. The electric field is also affected by the distance from the rod, with the field strength decreasing as the distance increases.

5. Can the charge density of a thin long rod be negative?

No, the charge density of a thin long rod cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of electric charge on the rod and must be a positive value. However, the electric field around the rod can be negative in certain regions, indicating the direction of the electric force on a positive test charge.