Graduate school visits, before applying

In summary, graduate programs generally allow visits before application submission, and they can make a difference to your admission status.
markiv
Hey guys. I'll be applying to graduate schools for the term of Fall 2013. I'm really interested in actually visiting some of the schools I'm applying to and meeting some of the faculty, before I actually send in my application. Do graduate programs generally allow this? Are visitations before admittance welcome? And would it make any difference to your application?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't the normal order of doing things, so I don't know how much time they would put into seeing you since you haven't even been accepted. You could always email whichever professor/s you're interested into ask to find out for sure though.

Normally, you apply, are accepted, and then go visit with part or all of the travel expenses reimbursed by the school. So unless you have a really good reason for wanting to go before this, it seems much better to wait until you know you've been accepted.

Okay thanks. I was thinking of establishing contact with particular faculty beforehand to see if they were willing to talk to me, and then I would make a visit.

I did visit one school before I applied. I had been corresponding with the graduate director for the math department (I didn't have a traditional background and so I had been wondering if/how I could transition). The director mentioned that I was welcome to come take a look at the school if I was interested, so my mom and I drove down. They didn't pay any of our expenses, but they took us out to breakfast, introduced us to some of the students and professors, and showed us around the school. It was really nice.

The school might not have a campus visit program for people who haven't applied yet, but you can always make contact with the program coordinator or equivalent, or the professor for a class you're interested in. It might make a difference to your admission, if you are on an unconventional path and some of the usual boxes might not be checked but you can at least sound like you know what you're talking about (I was an elementary ed undergrad, then recently finished a MA in math ed, now about to start a pure math MS program; I met with the grad coordinator this past spring to talk about prereqs, and by the end of the conversation he told me to hurry up and apply and he'd hang onto a TA position for me). Conversely, if you're looking at exceptionally selective schools, probably everyone makes early contact and if you don't you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Don't get stuck on the idea of touring the campus. It's a college, it has buildings and trees and parking places and grassy things and maybe a statue or two. The architectural style is really the least important thing.

markiv said:
Hey guys. I'll be applying to graduate schools for the term of Fall 2013. I'm really interested in actually visiting some of the schools I'm applying to and meeting some of the faculty, before I actually send in my application. Do graduate programs generally allow this? Are visitations before admittance welcome? And would it make any difference to your application?

Absolutely. This is both allowed and encouraged at the schools I've attended and instruct at. If you have the opportunity, you should make the effort to check out every school you're applying to.

Email the graduate advisor well in advance and let him or her know that you're interested in coming. Often they can arrange time for you to meet with current graduate students and professors who will be looking for students. Not all of them will be available on the day you show up, but some of them likely will be.

It can make a difference in your application status for several reasons. It demonstrates a genuine interest in the program. It helps you to identify the unique aspects of the school so you have something coherent to talk about in your personal statement. It helps you to decide if the school is the right fit for you. It also puts a face to the application. I know the admission committee at my school places a fair amount of weight on whether or not a supervisor is willing to take on a particular student and one of best ways to convice a professor that he or she wants you is to spend some time talking.

1. What is the purpose of visiting graduate schools before applying?

Visiting graduate schools before applying allows you to get a firsthand feel for the campus, faculty, and overall environment. It can also give you the opportunity to ask questions and gather information that may not be available online. This will help you make a more informed decision when choosing which schools to apply to.

2. When is the best time to visit graduate schools?

The best time to visit graduate schools is typically during the fall or spring semester, when classes are in session. This will give you a better idea of what the campus and academic life is like. However, if you are unable to visit during these times, you can also schedule a visit during the summer.

3. Should I schedule a visit with the graduate program or with specific faculty members?

It is recommended to schedule a visit with both the graduate program and specific faculty members. This will give you a well-rounded view of the program and allow you to meet with potential advisors or mentors. If possible, try to schedule your visit during a time when you can meet with faculty members who share your research interests.

4. What should I look for during my graduate school visits?

During your visits, pay attention to the campus and facilities, the faculty and students, the research opportunities, and the overall atmosphere. Take note of the resources available to graduate students, such as funding opportunities and support services. It is also important to get a sense of the community and whether it is a good fit for you.

5. Is it necessary to visit every graduate school I am considering?

While it is ideal to visit every graduate school you are considering, it may not always be possible due to time and financial constraints. If you are unable to visit a certain school, try to gather as much information as you can through virtual tours, online resources, and connecting with current students or alumni. However, if you have narrowed down your choices and are seriously considering a particular school, it is highly recommended to visit in person before making your final decision.