Sleep Pattern

by Woopydalan
Tags: pattern, sleep
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Nov2-13, 10:55 AM
P: 746
Hello,

I woke up really early today fully awake, around 5:15am. However, feeling that it was too early and taboo to be up at this time (especially on a saturday), I went back to sleep and woke up again at 8:20 am, but this time feeling very tired and groggy, not wanting to get out of bed. I am curious, how is it that I can sleep another 3 hours, yet feel completely tired, when I was lacking that 3 hours I was perfectly awake.

Yet most days of the week, I wake up at 6:15am with an alarm clock and also have that groggy feeling. Is an irregular sleep pattern the cause of the groginess? I should mention I will go to sleep from 10-11pm, so all the times I am talking about have roughly the same starting hour of going to sleep.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Controlling childbirth pain tied to lower depression risk
The human parasite Leishmania is a probiotic for the fly that carries it
Gene marker may predict breast cancer response to tamoxifen
sozme
Nov3-13, 03:58 PM
P: 15
I believe you enter REM every ~90 minutes, so if you woke up during this time you would feel quite groggy since its your deepest stage of sleep. I should really brush up on sleep physiology, though.
Pythagorean
Nov3-13, 04:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
That's what I remember from intro neuro. Your thalamus has the job of doing the switching between wake/sleep state and when you wake up in the middle of sleep state, you still have a lot of switching over left to do.

If I have time later, I'll dig up some proper research. A lot can change in neuroscience in 5 years.

Register to reply