Vector spaces homework question (rowspace and nullspace)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to write (6,-1,-2) as a combination of vectors from the row space and null space of a given matrix. The solution involves finding the appropriate coefficients to express (6,-1,-2) in terms of the basis vectors for the row space and null space.
murielg

Homework Statement

Write x=(6,-1,-2)T as x=y+z where y belongs to null A and z belongs to row A

A=[1,3,1;2,6,2;-2,-5,0;1,4,3]

Homework Equations

The main question asks to find all the fundamental subspaces and their dimensions, which I have already found, and then asks me to find the question i posted above.

the basis for the row space is
{[1,3,1]T, [-1,-5,0]T}

the basis for the nullspace is
(5,-2,1)T

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what the question is asking me to do... or how to begin to approach this problem.
If someone could please give me a hint on what they want me to do.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write (6,-1,-2) in terms of (1,3,1), (-1,-5,0) and (5,-2,1)?

is this like a change of basis?
im confused :S and I am sure it's really simple but I really want to understand what this means
im going to keep giving this some thought, thanks for the fast reply

Find a, b, and c so that (6,-1,-2)= a(1,3,1)+ b(-1,-5,0)+ c(5,-2,1). Once you have done that, y= a(1, 3, 1)+ b(-1, -5, 0) and z= c(5, -2, 1).

I found X1=1, x2=-3, x3=-2

and then (6,-1,-2)T= (2,-11,-2)T + (4,10,0)T
as x = y + z where Y belongs to the nullspace and z to the rowspace

Thanks guys!

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects (called vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by numbers (called scalars). It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to model many real-world phenomena.

2. What is the rowspace of a matrix?

The rowspace of a matrix is the set of all linear combinations of its rows. In other words, it is the span of the rows of the matrix. It is also known as the row space or the row span.

3. How is the rowspace related to the nullspace?

The rowspace and nullspace of a matrix are complementary subspaces. This means that any vector in the nullspace is orthogonal (perpendicular) to every vector in the rowspace. In other words, the rowspace and nullspace do not share any common vectors.

4. How can I find the rowspace and nullspace of a matrix?

To find the rowspace of a matrix, you can use row reduction techniques to transform the matrix into row echelon form or reduced row echelon form. The nonzero rows of the resulting matrix will form a basis for the rowspace. To find the nullspace of a matrix, you can use row reduction to find the special solutions of the homogeneous system of equations Ax=0, where A is the given matrix.

5. Why is the rowspace important?

The rowspace is important because it helps us understand the structure of a matrix and its relationship to the vectors it represents. It is also useful in solving systems of linear equations, determining linear independence, and finding the rank of a matrix. It has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.